Stardust Installer Freezes at Boot (Home v3)

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
tbp

Stardust Installer Freezes at Boot (Home v3)

Post by tbp »

I have downloaded Gentoox Home v3 and burnt the stardust iso to a number of CDRW discs and attempted to install Gentoox.
Every time I have attempted to install Home v3 I have selected Boot Stardust, Stardust ejects the CD and asks for the Stardust CD ???. I reinsert the CD and it continues (I see a few people are having this problem).
Booting Stardust is then displayed in a white font.
It then sits there for eternity (literally) like a constipated pig.
I have left it saying "Booting" for an hour just incase something extra strange was going on, but nothing changed.

I have a 40Gig HDD (Shamefull I know), TSOP flashed with M5 (Really dont want to have to reflash unless absolutely necessary, no modchip).
HDD Space: E - 2.5GB, F 6.4GB
Booting Avalaunch as my Dash and the Blue flubber mod.

At first I thought it may be my media so I tryed 3 different CDRW discs, no joy. I also checked the MD5 on my downloaded Gentoox rar but it was spot on.
I have tryed unplugging my Pad and USB keyboard, aswell as unplugging the network cable from the XB at bootup. No difference.
Before all this began I deleted all the necessary files listed in the "Deinstallation tut" for my Gentoox Home v2 setup.

Any ideas, anyone??
Pobtastic
Novice

Post by Pobtastic »

Why not just do the ftp install? I assume you can network it to a PC seeing as you mentioned 'network cable'? If you're using a Thompson DVD drive in your xbox then YES expect weird goings on with reading any non-original disc. It may appear to work fine one minute and then suddenly be all crap the next... That's a Thompson for you... I'd highly suggest doing the potentiometer mod to any Thompson drive. It makes them *much* better to use!

Pobster
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

Good tutorial and seems very easy. I'll have to try it on my mates
tbp

Post by tbp »

I have a Philips drive and I dont believe this is a problem with the drive itself.
I think my main problem is that my E drive only has 2.5 GB. I have read that there is a way to resize thr rootfs using another linux ran machine. Does anyone know if this can be done with any linux distro (Eg Mandrake 10)?
Also, is there a way to do the ftp install but with rootfs any any necessary files on the f: drive? If so what would I need to reconfigure?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If you have a linux machine knocking around you can edit the config files before you ftp them accross to your xbox and install direct to the F drive. If you can't do this then you have to have 3.5GB of free space on E even if you want to do an F drive install. This is because stardust uses the E drive to unpack the distro.rar so that it can do the patching before it copies the files accross to the F drive.
If you want to see what to edit on a linux PC have a look at the *.b0x file for magic f-drive
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?