I would like to run Magic but....

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
kdt

I would like to run Magic but....

Post by kdt »

After much troubleshoorting I have found that to get my x-box to work through my router I must amend some of the startup files. (For more info http://unmodded.mine.nu/docs/XboxInternetThroughRouter ).

The last time I ran Magic I was only temporarily fixing my Xbox each time it loaded. When I ran magic it did its stuff and then rebooted at which point it got stuck in an endless loop because it couldn't connect to the net.

I have now applied a more permanent fix by editing etc/conf.d/local.start to include "echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn".

My question is, is it safe to run magic with this line, or will magic reboot and try to reconnect to the internet before it gets to local.start?

If it doesn't run local.start before magic trys to access the internet what else can I do?

Thanks

KDT
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

This is a strange problem
When magic runs updates on boot, it does so by removing your local.start and storing it for later so your added line would not happen.

You need to create a script in /etc/init.d then add it to a the default runlevel
Info on init scripts is here
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

What kind of router do you have? Is this a gentoox issue affecting many users? If so this should be a candidate for a faq entry.

I've had my boxes connected to both my D-Link 704 (direct and through a switch) and directly to my dsl router/modem without any problems. Any specific brand and/or model of routers known to be problematic?
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

looking at the link, looks like this only happens when its hooked up to a dsl modem with a router built in, which would make sense its not picking up dns ir gateway entrys. If the user can access machine on the network then its getting the right ip, but cannnot browse something is fubar with dns or gateway settings.

i have a wireless linksys router and smoothwall and i dont have a problem with either.
kdt

Post by kdt »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to alter my default run-level or my X-box will get caught in a loop!

I have a Netgear DG824M with my Xbox connected wirelessly. It took me ages to work out what was going on. Now I have to make some minor changes so I can use magic to update my system.

http://www.netgear.com.au/products/prod ... =165&view=

I think a FAQ entry would make life easier - or even better still compile the kernel in away that avoids the problem in the first place :)

Slowly getting there.

Kdt
kdt

How do I get my new initscript working.

Post by kdt »

Hello

I followed "nobspangle"'s suggestion about creating a new init-script for my Xbox.

I created a script called xboxrouter. It looked something like this

#!/sbin/runscript
start() {
ebegin "Fixing my Xbox Router"
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
eend $?
}

I saved the file made it executable. And it didn't work. I try executing the script directly with ./xboxrouter start

And I get advised that I have a syntax error.

Now, I am not a script wiz on Linux but I used to be o.k. with scripts on my old Amiga. What am I doing wrong? I've read the Gentoo documentation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am desparate to run Magic to update my Xbox.

THanks

Kym
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

[humour]
Did it take you 2 months to write that script
[/humour]

I don't know what's wrong with your script, I put it on my box in /etc/init.d chown root chmod 744
and it runs fine with
/etc/init.d/xboxrouter start

looks like your problem lies somewhere else it's not in your script
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
kdt

Post by kdt »

I am a very slow typist! The xbox works fine the own way - I just can't update it yet! I would like to do that now and getter a more recent version of Freevo to play around with.

Anyway, I changed the permission so it could be executed. Maybe it is the way I created it. I used scite.

At one point I removed the first line and executed it - then it complained of (from memory) unexpected end of file.

I'll try editing it with something else when I get back home. I am sure I'll find that it is something stupid that I did. I'll let you know about my slow progress!

Thanks

kdt
kdt

Post by kdt »

I am a very slow typist! The xbox works fine the own way - I just can't update it yet! I would like to do that now and getter a more recent version of Freevo to play around with.

Anyway, I changed the permission so it could be executed. Maybe it is the way I created it. I used scite.

At one point I removed the first line and executed it - then it complained of (from memory) unexpected end of file.

I'll try editing it with something else when I get back home. I am sure I'll find that it is something stupid that I did. I'll let you know about my slow progress!

Thanks

kdt