GentooX install with Slayers 2.5

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
_mikec
Banned Losers

GentooX install with Slayers 2.5

Post by _mikec »

ok.. i've read some of the post here about this but i cant understand how to exactly install gentoox.

the problem is that i cant load the setup, it says loading but nothing happen. I used the FTP installation, in dashboard config file i have this line:
Item "XboX Gentoo LINUX - Self Add-On","e:\gentooxx.xbe"
so i guess everything should be fine now cause i have gentooxx.xbe on drive E:. I've also turned In Game Reset (IGR) off, i dont know why i had to do that cause i dont know much about my dashboard yet. I cant unplug controller cause if i did i wouldn't be able to start the Setup. What exactly i should do?

i also tried to load it with another dash, but its the same problem.
Last edited by _mikec on Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

unplug your controllers
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
_mikec
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec »

I cant unplug controller cause if i did i wouldn't be able to start the Setup.

...how do you want me to start the setup if i unplug the controller?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The setup starts itself you stick the CD in wait for it to boot then plug your controller in
_mikec
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec »

oh!! i forgot to mention that i dont have a CD, all the files are inside the xbox hd already.. FTP installation..
_mikec
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec »

well i just tried the CDRW install but xbox wont reconize the CD
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

click on the link to start gentoox then plug your controller out.

also make sure all the filenames have transfered with lower case letters and that you have

gentooxx.xbe
linuxboot.cfg
vmlinuz
rootfs
swap
initrd.gz

in e:\
_mikec
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec »

i did what u wrote, thats how i tried the first time u told me to remove the controller but still it hangs on loading.. and yes all the files are in lower case letters in e-drive.

does the installer load right away or do i have to wait like 5 minutes before i see some thing or is it like any other application?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you should almost immediatley see xromwell boot up with a picture of a cd and a harddrive at the bottom of the screen when you click the harddrive you should see loads of text scroll past and eventually it stops and asks you questions
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Id prefer people do not talk about evox here, its clearly stated in the forum rules.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
_mikec
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec »

nobspangle: well still i dont see xromwell boot, loading..loading..

---

ShALLaX: sorry, i didn't know myself that it was treated as a warez, am here just to install gentoox on my xbox v1.5 with an xbit chip. i really dont know what am doing wrong seriously, i did what nobspangle told me already but nothing seems to work for me.

---

i am basicly looking to install gentoox and at the same time to be able to play xbox games when i shutdown linux and reboot to the dash. I dont need to flash the bios right? cromwell. I have M7.
elanir

Post by elanir »

I have exactly the same problem running gentoox from slayer's 2,5 once i press th link on the dash it starts loading and loading and loading...

unplugging the pad didn't help either...

Did you find out what is wrong...????

thanks in advance

Ps What is IGR and where do you turn it off from????
WreckDangle

Post by WreckDangle »

Well at least you get the loading screeen if i try to boot the stardust iso i burnt to CD it loads up the xbox logo says Linux underneath in white and then either turns off after the xbox LED flashes orange or boots up with the screen fully messed up and letters all jumbled here and there and weird colours the only other time ive seen this is with Severe grasphics card issues......i am now going tto try the Hdd way.
·[>_<]· Space aliens are good pets
-Y-
/\
WreckDangle

Post by WreckDangle »

nobspangle wrote:you should almost immediatley see xromwell boot up with a picture of a cd and a harddrive at the bottom of the screen when you click the harddrive you should see loads of text scroll past and eventually it stops and asks you questions
I think thats what im seeing when i boot the stardust CD although everything is seriousley messed up it's like when i had an ATI in my PC and installed Mandrake it did'nt like using the S-video on the ATI card and would act like there was a serious hardware conflict and then when i tried with the monitor it was Fine.......
·[>_<]· Space aliens are good pets
-Y-
/\
_mikec_
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec_ »

elanir: IGR = In Game Reset.

i am running Linux now, for this i had to change to avalaunch dashboard and flash the chip with X2 *.06 bios.
Linux, not good for newbies with no skills at all, u better be viewing the network from a Window to the world and using micro soft wares.