Dreaded question: When is 3.1 coming out?

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
detroit
Novice

Dreaded question: When is 3.1 coming out?

Post by detroit »

I have 3.0c but it doesn't work for me. I did get to work at one point after a lot of dinking around, but then it died due to some swap file corruption and I tried to reinstall two different ways without success. Even if I did get it to work, there are so many magic this, magic that updates that it just seems too far gone to mess with. So IMHO it's time for a clean, up to date release.

I know it's considered very rude to ask, and the developer does all this work for free, and all that, but just out of curiousity, when is 3.1 coming out?
Last edited by detroit on Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

no, it's not a dupe. the other post about 3.1 was about some of the features to be expected. I am looking for a release date.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

detroit wrote:no, it's not a dupe. the other post about 3.1 was about some of the features to be expected. I am looking for a release date.
A quote taken from the topic you are duping:
wonder if Gentoox 3.1 is going to be released with KDE 3.2 (released February)

detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

A quote taken from the topic you are duping:
Quote:

Your quote just further illustrated the difference between my post and yours! LOL! Your post was about features to be expected in the new release, wheras my post was about the timing for the new release. Look -- I saw your post, but out of courtesy, I did not hijack it with my own separate questions. Now I just ask that you extend the same courtesy to me and either contribute some useful information or let it rest.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

detroit wrote:A quote taken from the topic you are duping:
Quote:

Your quote just further illustrated the difference between my post and yours! LOL! Your post was about features to be expected in the new release, wheras my post was about the timing for the new release. Look -- I saw your post, but out of courtesy, I did not hijack it with my own separate questions. Now I just ask that you extend the same courtesy to me and either contribute some useful information or let it rest.
Uhh . . . why are you keeping this alive? Aren't we just asking when 3.1 is released? Get a hobby, and stop flaming!

detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

Trogdor: I'll say it again: let it rest.

Anyone know when 3.1 is coming out?
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

detroit wrote:Trogdor: I'll say it again: let it rest.
That's original. Back to the topic (and let's try to stay there), I don't think that ShALLaX is willing to commit to a date. Very reasonable, if you ask me. His full-time job isn't doing Gentoox stuff, he is a student.

detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

yeah, I know he's a student and all that, but it's been a long time since the last release, so maybe the new version is not far off? Maybe it's almost done? Maybe a new version isn't planned for the near future? I was just trying to get a very rough idea of where the 'product' is in the 'release cycle'.
NFCTinken

Post by NFCTinken »

I have heard it mentioned that sometime in May is a possible release, but do not quote me on that. I am sure Shallax is doing all he can to get things going.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Whats wrong with version 3.0c?
_mikec_
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec_ »

well i am also wondering when Home v3.1 will be out, shallax just tell us if you plan on working on this in a week, in a month or in years thats all we want to know!. I guess We know that you've been working on v3.0 and that you're working hard for free and stuff, so I thank you for that.
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

Whats wrong with version 3.0c?
for one thing, after installing it, there are a lot of patches to install.
which takes a lot of time. also, some of these can be difficult for newbs. it seems like you could release 3.1 just by taking 3.0c and doing all the updates.
_mikec_
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec_ »

detroit wrote:
which takes a lot of time. also, some of these can be difficult for newbs. it seems like you could release 3.1 just by taking 3.0c and doing all the updates.
right on!.

..perhaps version 3.1 could also include apache2, myslq, perl, php4 by default, cause i dont think ppl would use Gentoox to surf the net and send e-mails each day, ppl want to run servers, for personnal use i guess.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

_mikec_ wrote:
detroit wrote:
right on!.

..perhaps version 3.1 could also include apache2, myslq, perl, php4 by default, cause i dont think ppl would use Gentoox to surf the net and send e-mails each day, ppl want to run servers, for personnal use i guess.
Well, having the apache server loaded with mod_php and mod_perl, with the MySQL server loaded up, would cut down on available ram. I'm against it. Only some people want to cripple their box for the purpose of running a server.