Wine probs,PATH environment is missing dirs, and more. :|

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Chiron
Linux User

Wine probs,PATH environment is missing dirs, and more. :|

Post by Chiron »

Hi all! :)
I'm trying to start Wine&configuring it, but there seems to be some lack of understanding from me (as in most linux-based software) :cry:
One of the things i don't understand is that the executables for Wine lies in /usr/lib/winex/ with root-permissions,while the config/data/fake-windows dirs resides in /home/gentoox/.winex/ These files has gentoox user permissions.
I don't understand much of linux, but this makes no sense to me at all. I've tried to run the executables as super-user,gentoox and root, but with no luck. Another thing that's confusing is that the commands won't run without me typing a ./ before the commds.Then I tried to run the executables as gentoox-user, but got a msg that it can't find the required libs in my path.And Wine told me to edit the config-file in/home/gentoox/.winex/bin, and fill out the harddrives D&E that I should use,and uncomment the #'s before the lines.When i did that, I got a msg that Wine couldn't find /root/.winex/wineserver-Xbox/socket file or directory. LOL! What am I doing wrong? (I feel pretty darn stupid) :)

And,how can i add a dir to my PATH-env,so that it finds the commands I want every time GentooX boot up? Shouldn't be to difficult, but hey, Linux is not my strong side,as you sure know by know. :) Amiga-DOS was in fact easier...lol.

Finally, I've set up proftpd to start it's service on every boot, and I can log in,but how can I configure it? :) I get a msg that my root-level is only 1000, and it should (of course) be 1001. :) LOLx2

This was a lot of questions, but I hope someone can help me, maybe I even understand this incredibly stable OS one day? In fact, I have run GentooX for almost a year now, and the kernel-core has *NEVER* crashed!
Incredible! Windows 2000 couldn't do that,even if it was just running notepad for a year. :) Just a guess.
Lastly, can I increase the fontsize in XTERM? I use XFCE4 in 800x600, and have trouble reading the text. Hope you can have a nice laugh of my troubles, and maybe even help me with some of them?
Best regards from Norway
-Chiron
-ChiRon
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Can't help you with your wine problem, but I can tell you that to run an executable that isn't in your path you have to type the full or relative path to the file, when you are in the same directory as the file you have to type ./ that's the way unix systems work.

to change enviroment variables you use the export command,
for example if you wanted to append /home/gentoox/.winex/bin to your path you would type

Code: Select all

export PATH="$PATH:/home/gentoox/.winex/bin"
This is identical to windows/dos except there you would use SET instead of export.

The configuration for proftpd is in /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf if this file is blank or not there copy either /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf.sample or .conf.distrib into its place

Windows 2000 would easily run for a year just running notepad, earlier versions of windows including NT 4.0 would probably grind to a halt with a memory leak.

To increase the font size in xterm you change the command you use to start it. Read man xterm for full info but I think you would tpe something like

xterm -fs 20
*****edited to correct my mistake thanks rocketer******
Last edited by nobspangle on Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

nobspangle wrote:

export PATH="$path:/home/gentoox/.winex/bin"
should of course be

export PATH="$PATH:/home/gentoox/.winex/bin"
Also, windows/dos uses semi-colon as separator, unix/linux uses colon. Windows uses percent signs %VARIABLE% where unix uses single dollar sign $VARIABLE.
Chiron
Linux User

Post by Chiron »

Thank,the xterm fs didn't work for me, maybe I have the wrong fonts installed? But i read in the man that I could use ctrl and the mouse buttons inside xterm to get a popup-menu. That is perfectly solving it for me.
Regarding Wine, I'va given up running it.. :| and the export worked perfect. Thanks again!
Best wishes
-Chiron

nobspangle wrote:Can't help you with your wine problem, but I can tell you that to run an executable that isn't in your path you have to type the full or relative path to the file, when you are in the same directory as the file you have to type ./ that's the way unix systems work.

to change enviroment variables you use the export command,
for example if you wanted to append /home/gentoox/.winex/bin to your path you would type

export PATH="$path:/home/gentoox/.winex/bin"
This is identical to windows/dos except there you would use SET instead of export.

The configuration for proftpd is in /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf if this file is blank or not there copy either /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf.sample or .conf.distrib into its place

Windows 2000 would easily run for a year just running notepad, earlier versions of windows including NT 4.0 would probably grind to a halt with a memory leak.

To increase the font size in xterm you change the command you use to start it. Read man xterm for full info but I think you would tpe something like

xterm -fs 20
-ChiRon