Large green bar with 720p HDTV

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
skywise

Large green bar with 720p HDTV

Post by skywise »

I've just done a fresh install of gentoox to my e drive, magiced up to current patches/mods and selected 720p HDTV.
Everything seems to work ok, other than the screen being offset by about a 1/4 screen and a large vertical green bar showing on screen.
(the text wraps around as well, I get all the ok's on boot showing up on the far left)
720p (and 1080i) work just fine in XBMC, crisp text, no offset.
I've tried adjusting the hoc/voc values in the append line, no change at all.
X also works fine, but it's also got the same green bar, and the virtual keyboard is wrapped around to the left side (the X in xkbd is at the left edge of the screen)
I normally boot from EvoX (with excuter2 4979 BIOS)
I've also tried booting with the CD and let it boot from the HD.
Could this be a BIOS problem? What's the best BIOS for running gentoox? (other than cromwell, I have only one bank)
Oh, one warning I get when I boot with the CD is a LBA warning, my HD is 160 Gig and gentoox seems to have problems seeing the whole thing. Another BIOS issue?

Anyone know what's up with this? And even better, know of a solution?

Thanks

Sky
effbiai
Novice

Post by effbiai »

i had that problem, but it just fixed itself when i replased the boot config file.. (it was some problem with the resolution or something..) and then i changed the type/res with xbvset ;) gl
skywise

Post by skywise »

linuxboot.cfg?

What does your linuxboot.cfg look like now?
Mine is:
kernel vmlinuz
initrd initrd.gz
append init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 kbd-reset video=xbox:480p,nohwcursor,hoc=0,voc=0

Sky
effbiai
Novice

Post by effbiai »

yes that one ;) well.. i configured that file by myself when i got the big green cursor in console :>

the file is telling the linux how to boot.. where the rootfs are, what kernel to use and so on.. but what is not working for you is the setting for resolution and probably what type.. HDTV/Composite/X2VGA

Standard one is like this:

Code: Select all

kernel vmlinuz
initrd initrd.gz
append init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 pci=biosirq kbd-reset video=xbox:800x600,nohwcursor,hoc=X,voc=Y
(it uses Composite who is the most used connection to the telly, with an resolution of 800x600)
skywise

Post by skywise »

Right, but the whole idea here is to get better than composite resolution.
720p should get a res of 1280x720
That would be a good res for general Net use. (and a looks very nice in XBMC :)

Anyone know how to get 720p working?