DHCP networking

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Motomatt

DHCP networking

Post by Motomatt »

I have DHCP installed and running.. Everything works just fine except for my VNC setup. Everytime I try to log into the XBOX with VNC the ip address has changed. I know this is how DHCP works but how can I log in without having to watch and find the ip addess everytime I want to log in to VNC. I read the manual about changing to a static IP is this what I need to do ?

Matt
If a man walks alone in the forrest, and no women are around, is he still wrong?
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

Yes.

An alternative is to configure the DHCP server to always assign the same IP for the Xbox' mac address.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you can also just use the netbios name of your xbox instead of it's IP address it should be xbox
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Motomatt

VNC networking

Post by Motomatt »

Thanks guys.. I got it working finally thanks to you guys.. Was wondering one more thing.. The xbox netbios name did not work for me so I just typed inthe IP address. How would I go about finding the netbiosname for my XBOX? thanks again

Matt
If a man walks alone in the forrest, and no women are around, is he still wrong?
djdafreund
Novice

Post by djdafreund »

Just to clear some confusion here.

An alternative is to configure the DHCP server to always assign the same IP for the Xbox' mac address.
Meaning, you are switching your settings from DHCP to Static ip addressing. My friend got confused that you were meaning You can set DHCP to accentually be static which is a contradiction in terms. Just wanted to clarify this.

DHCP: Dynamic Host Controller Protocol enables a server to dynamically or randomly assign an IP address to an individual computer.
Static: IP addressing is permanently assigned to one IP address for each user.

One must choose one or the other. Just to clear the confusion. That's all.
Motomatt

To clear up the confusion

Post by Motomatt »

Multiple sets of DHCP options can be specified in the DHCP configuration database. Table 7-1, ``Option sets and precedence'' shows the possible types of option sets and their precedence.

Table 7-1 Option sets and precedence

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Option set type Precedence Description
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Client Highest : Generally used to specify a static IP
address for an individual client. The
DHCP server automatically assigns this
address to the client rather than
using one obtained from the address
pool assigned to the subnet. You can
also create a client entry without a
static address, if you need to specify
unique option values for the client
but still want its IP address to be
assigned dynamically. A DHCP client
identifies itself to the server using
its network hardware (MAC) address, or
using an identifier if it is an opaque
client. As many sets of client
options can be created as are needed.

User class : Offered to any client that specifies
the user class identifier in the
``discover'' message. As many sets of
user class options can be created as
are needed.

Vendor class : Offered to any client that specifies
the vendor class identifier in the
``discover'' message. As many sets of
vendor class options can be created as
are needed.

Subnet : Includes the name of the address pool
from which the DHCP server draws IP
addresses to allocate to clients, the
default and maximum leases for these
addresses, and lease renewal and
rebind times, along with a set of DHCP
options specific to the subnet. As
many sets of subnet options can be
created as are needed.

Global Lowest : Applies to all DHCP clients. Only one
set of global options can be created.

The set of global DHCP options, for example, applies to all clients, whereas a set of subnet options applies only to the clients on a specified subnet. If you configure the same option in more than one set of options, the precedence of the option type decides which the DHCP server offers to the client.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

djdafreund you are wrong,
a dhcp server hands out IP address when requested by dhcp clients
Most dhcp servers can be configured to hand out static addresses to adaptors with a paticular MAC address the address is static because it never changes but it is still assigned by a dhcp server, as far as the dhcp client is concerned it is still getting an IP address dynamically and untill it logs on to the dhcp server it has no idea what address it will be given. The dhcp server recognizes the client by its MAC address and assignes it the predetermined static address. This is a standard way of remotely administering static addresses on a LAN. It has the advantage of being able to set up all clients identically (with a ghost image or similar) yet still know exactly which IP address each box has.

Motomatt

Your netbios name is determined by samba, if samba isn't running you won't have a netbios name.
"ps aux | grep smbd" will check if samba is running and the netbios name is listed in /etc/samba/smb.conf
Motomatt

Thanks

Post by Motomatt »

Thanks for the help again Nobspangle

Matt
djdafreund
Novice

Post by djdafreund »

Well, that's weird then, because Linksys says this isn't possible unless your using a router which is capable of using mixed mode static to some network cars and dynamic to other network cards. They should prob. get more training when porperly answering customer questions.
Thanx for the explanation. So the XBox is fully capable of assigning independant static address's as well as dynamic addressing to other cards like a built in router then?

Matt-
I'm not sure what your included help text insert is tyeing in to what we're talking about here. That is the obvious.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I was talking about standalone router boxes, I've got a cheap (£45) edimax. You can choose a range of addresses to dish out over dhcp (e.g. 192.168.2.100-192.168.2.150) then set some boxes on your network static addreses outside that range and also tell the router to use the dhcp server to asign a paticular address to a paticular box by its MAC address.

However you can do all this with an xbox if you emerge dhcp then follow this howto
djdafreund
Novice

Post by djdafreund »

Ok, cool. Then we are eye to eye on this. I was thinking you were meaning something else at 1st. I was starting to wonder what was going on with my brain. It was the way my friend (MOTOMATT) was wording it to me that was different then we we were just talking about. Glad that's over.
Take care guys.
kloaper

Post by kloaper »

i read all your replys carefully,and when i type in "xbox" as adress in my ssh client it connects to the gentoox server.

but i have another problem:
i have a digital tv receiver and i used sserver form ggrab to stream tv programm to linux for storing movies etc.
on this tv receiver i only have the possibility to type in an ip-adress .
but everytime linux boots up it "gets" another ip adress.
what's the command for setting a static ip adress in gentoox???
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

read the networking tutorial that explains it perfectly