Space issues

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
Thanos
Linux User

Space issues

Post by Thanos »

Ok, I'm a little frustrated right now cause it looks like my / partition has run out of space. I'm using all 3Gb of disk space, and I'm not even sure how. I know that the general gentoox installation uses about 1.7, but I don't know where the rest has come from, and what I can do to clear up the space.

I can't seem to get some kind of recursive disk space usage report on a folder without using SAMBA (which is dreadfully slow), and I can't seem to get a list of emerged packages so that I can try to uninstall something. The most effective thing for me to do would be to increase the size of my partition, but there is a 4gb fatx limitation, which gives me very few options to work with. I created a new partition using magic newfs, but I'm trying to find a solution so that I can use my disk space more efficiently.

How can I use that second partition and make my root partition look larger? When I try to emerge something now, it says I don't have enough disk space, so it puts me in a bad spot. Any advice or help is appreciated!
Thanos
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

the df command will tell you how much free space you have. if you have emerged a lot of packages you may have a lot of compressed source code taking up space in /usr/portage/distfiles it is safe to remove all of this. Also make sure you only have one kernel source code installed in /usr/src there should be two folders one is your source the other a symlink to the source (called linux)

You can check your /var/cache/edb/world file to see what packages are emerged but this won't list dependencies, if you want to get rid of a big package like kde you need to unmerge kde-libs, kde-mulitmedia etc.

The magic newfs script mounts the newfs inside /mnt if you change this so it is mounted somewhere you need the space or you could change some options in /etc/make.conf so that portage uses your newfs as tmp compilie space or similar.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Thanos
Linux User

Post by Thanos »

I know the df command, but that will only give you the whole device disk space usage. I was trying to find out if there was a way to recurively find out the space used by a directory (and all the files and folders under it). This would help me find out where the most usage is. Thanks for the help.
Thanos
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

Thanos wrote:I know the df command, but that will only give you the whole device disk space usage. I was trying to find out if there was a way to recurively find out the space used by a directory (and all the files and folders under it). This would help me find out where the most usage is. Thanks for the help.
Try

Code: Select all

man du
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

du -sh, to be more precise :P
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo