Overscan for 640x480 Focus / 1 - 1.3 xbox ?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
shockwave

Overscan for 640x480 Focus / 1 - 1.3 xbox ?

Post by shockwave »

I currently have a Samsung HDTV Projection TV and I have a version 1.1 Xbox.

I am currently Experiencing OVERSCAN on HDTV mode 640 x 480. This is also the mode that works the best. it has Quite of bit of Overscan.. I was wondering if this will be fixed along with Gentoox Focus overscan problem.. or if there is another way I can get rid of this overscan?

Thanks.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

why would you use 640x480 on hdtv? Isn't the whole point of HDTV that it is higher resolution. You should be using 480p if your screen is 4:3 or 720p if your screen is 16:9 otherwise your HDTV is a big waste of money
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
shockwave

Post by shockwave »

640x480 is 480p ... p is progressive which is the same ast 640x480 resolution on your PC... its not 480i which is interlaced.

SO I am using 480p... thats what the overscan is on.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

480p just means 480 progressive lines, it can be any number of pixels wide. Most HDTV allow around 800-900 horizontal pixels in 480p mode, I just assumed the xbox would take advantage of this. It seems to make HDTV support a bit of a waste of time (I know the picture is a lot clearer because it is progessive rather than interlaced) but 640x480 us a pretty crappy resolution unless you are only watching movies, using the console or playing games.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
shockwave

Post by shockwave »

why would you use 640x480 on hdtv? Isn't the whole point of HDTV that it is higher resolution. You should be using 480p if your screen is 4:3 or 720p if your screen is 16:9 otherwise your HDTV is a big waste of money
<<EDIT>>You even proved yourself wrong... You told me to use 480p.. WHICH I stated I was!.. HDTV allows you to get to the resolution 640x480 and above.. so I don't understand why you even post.<<EDIT>>

As I was saying I don't have Widescreen.. so I dont want anything else than a 4:3 aspect ratio... output.. I.E 640x480 .. This is also the "native" output of the TV... and I didn't POST this topic to argue about 480p and the resolution. I asked a SIMPLE question about the overscan issue and you are quite worthless in answering. now I see where your massive posts came from.. nothing useful. So unless you have anything USEFULL to add to the situation.. I would ask to just not REPLY. Thank you.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Just FYI: 480p == 720x480, 720p == 1280x720.

However, Xfree seems bugged, so 480p in gentoox is actually 704x480
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
nynx

Post by nynx »

I'm seeing the same issue. Currently I'm testing to try and find a solution.
It seems there must be a solution. The display had no overscan whatsoever upon initial install. There must be some setting I'm overlooking or a problem with the display setup. Unfortunately I'm a little scared of touching XFreeafter my last experience. I installed and magic'd my box. I then changed res in XFree and wound up reinstalling. Couldn't ssh. Nothing.

In the FAQs it states that if you change resolution in XFree and your box reboots to nothing (or something to that effect) then you need to reinstall. This quote seems to say that the problem in itself is XFree.

Since reinstalling I FTP'd 2 separate copies of the gentoox installation to my desktop.

1) Stock form exactly as it was post CD install.
2) All magic updates installed.

I've tested all modes in the updated installation in order to try to find a happy medium. My tube is a Sony 4:3 32HS500 capable of 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

Regular TV modes yielded a blank screen.
VGA modes worked but overscan persists, nearly the same amount as HD modes.
HDTV modes all exhibit overscan.

Should I revert to the previous versions of xbvset and xfree? I would guess this can be done with emerge? I'm happy to help with any testing needed. I did read that Shallax doesn't have a HDTV since it wouldn't do much good in the UK.
nynx

Post by nynx »

*bump* following post edit
drahz

Post by drahz »

If you read the game manuals they say in the first page that RUNING ANY GAME ON YOUR PROJECTION TV CAN BE VERY BAD TO THE HEALT OF YOUR TV. just thought you might like to know.
meh
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

OMG!!!!! I knew there was a reason I stopped playing games and decided to run Linux instead!

Boing Boing Boing!!!