phpmyadmin error

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
padawan
Novice

phpmyadmin error

Post by padawan »

hello :)

so i set up the apache server with the php mod and that is also running nicely (i think at least :P ).

Then a emerge mysql gave me mysql on the xbox :D (took like 4 hours to build and stuff). I think I haven't set up all the settings for that yet, but i can login to mysql as root and i see the mysql db, so i guess that's ok, right ?

then i emerged phpmyadmin. but here i got an error when i try to call the mysqladmin main page:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_get_client_info() in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpmyadmin/libraries/defines.lib.php on line 47
so i used google and i saw some sites stating that i needed a version of php4 higher than 4.0.5 to use that function also looked here.

but i also saw some a user on gentoo forums posting, that he changed flags and rerun the whole emerge again, afterwards all was running fine. (post here).

so first i wanted to find out what version of php i have. but that phpinho.php page that comes with phpmyadmin also wouldn't run, with the same error message :-/ (although i'm sure there are other scripts that do the same, but i only tried that).

do you know how i could fix the prob, so i can use phpmyadmin ?

would be really nice if you could help me, preferabley without any new merge of anything (if possible and practical) :wink:

greetz

a padawan
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

You can get all your php version info by making a page with the following code

Code: Select all

<html>
<body>
<?php
phpinfo();
?>
</body>
</html>
call the page something like phpinfo.php and put it in your web directory (/var/www/localhost/htdocs by default) then point your browser to http://localhost/phpinfo.php

Also after emerging phpmyadmin did you run the ebuild with the config flag like it tells you to at the end of the install.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Max Albert

Post by Max Albert »

I'm new to the whole gentoo(x) and emerge/magic scene. I'm used to doing all the compiling myself. (I love that I can magic overnight, and have everythign automated for me)

I've never used mod_php. I always compiled php seperate from apache. And php needs to be compiled after mysql, so that php can grab the mysqlclient libraries (as php is no longer allowed to include them in their distro).

I'm not sure if it makes a difference with mod_php, or with emerge/magic. But that's my experience.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

on gentoo you can compile in any order portage will sort it out for you.
padawan
Novice

Post by padawan »

hi, thanx for your help nobspangle, i did

ebuild /var/db/pkg/dev-db/phpmyadmin-2.5.5_p1/phpmyadmin-2.5.5_p1.ebuild config
and

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password 'password'
right after the mysql emerge like it told me.

Maybe it's some misconfiguration in the apache config ?
phpinfo() says it is PHP Version 4.3.4.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

check that mysql is in your use flags in /etc/make.conf if not you will have to recompile php and probably mod_php and maybe apache.
padawan
Novice

Post by padawan »

it was not in the use flag, now i added mysql and apache2 to it and will emerge php again. i'll keep you updated, thanx again for your precious tips m8 ;)
padawan
Novice

Post by padawan »

kewl, it worked and i can now access phpmyadmin :D !

another thing learnt :P