Frustrating emerge with proxy :-/

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
padawan
Novice

Frustrating emerge with proxy :-/

Post by padawan »

hi, it's me asking again :cry:

let's get right to the point:

I have a Cable modem hooked up to my Win2000 PC. Then a cable from my second nic goes to the xbox.

PC NIC IP: 192.168.1.1
XBOX IP: 192.168.1.13

Networking also works between the PC and the XBOX (Samba, Ping,VNC,...).

On my windows box I run the small proxy from AnalogX. I also put in the right proxy settings in both Mozilla Firebird and KDE Settings. So I can surf on the Internet with the XBOX.

But I can't do any emerge. nobspangle already tried to help me with my problem, but unfortunately i still couldn't figure out how to do it. What I basically want is to be able to 'ping google.com' from the XBOX for example, so i could run 'emerge-webrsync' ?

Also went through the Networking-tutorial and put the gateway to gateway="eth0/192.168.1.1" (in /etc/conf.d/net) and set the ip to static. And restarted the XBOX. But that didn't help.

Maybe it's also bcz of AnalogX Proxy ? Do you maybe know of any other good free ICS Programm for Win ?

Hope there is a solution (I'm sure there is :P ) and you can help me :)

Thanx for the patience.
padawan
Novice

Post by padawan »

[edit]

sorry, it is currently working, it just took some time to finally start !!! :P

so the stuff i wrote below the edit tag is not of interest anymore, i would still be interested to know, how to access the internet from the shell though ;)

[/edit]

hmm... now i followed this answer and I think 'emerge-webrsync' worked ! :D

But i can't run for example 'emerge apache mod_php php' properly, as emerge wants to d/l the files over it's own protocol and analogX proxy doesn't support it ?!?

Is there a way to let every emerge command run over http ?

Thank you :D
padawan
Novice

Post by padawan »

:-/ after waiting 1 hour it completed part 4 out of 9, but then aborted with an error 404 after trying to d/l pdflib-lite....

what can i do now ? :cry:

i did emerge-webrsync and it didn't give any errors!

if i rerun the apache emerge at a later time (after the error is fixed), will it resume the install ?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

it will resume from the beginning of the last package

Why don't you get rid of the proxy server and enable ICS on your windows 2000 machine that way you can use any protocol without any special setup
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
padawan
Novice

Post by padawan »

nobspangle wrote:it will resume from the beginning of the last package
so basically it will resume after the successfull part 4 (out of 9) of the apache emerge ?

Why don't you get rid of the proxy server and enable ICS on your windows 2000 machine that way you can use any protocol without any special setup
Yes, might do that, but I am happy it works now... or at least it should. I d/led and untared the snapshot manually and gonna see if it works now. :D
padawan
Novice

Post by padawan »

okay, still got problems emerging apache :-/

I untared the snapshot (the one dated 02022004) to the usr dir and rerun emerge apache once again. but it still aborts @ the same location, that is when it wants to d/l pdfliblite from pdflib.com ! and once again error 404... so the file it wanted to d/l wasn't found (also tried to verify with d/ling the file with firebird, but it was not there). so either it is a problem with the snapshot or that location lies somewhere else in another file ? if yes, where could i change it ?

please help me :D
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

change your mirrors in /etc/make.conf
I used to get loads of 404 errors In the end I went to gentoo.org and picked a mirror close to me (http://www.mirror.ac.uk) and just put that one in, since then I've not had a problem
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
padawan
Novice

Post by padawan »

Thanx a lot for you help m8 :D

that line was outcommented :idea:
after i put it back in and restarted the box, it got the files and ran through the whole thing !

So, when that line is disabled, then it goes and fetches the files that are described in the snapshot (which in my case pointed to a dead link) and if the line is in, then it takes the files from the mirror ? or how do i have to imagine that ?

I am slowly learning, but I'm sure one day I'll know what i do ;)