What type of files to download?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
DarkManX4lf
Novice

What type of files to download?

Post by DarkManX4lf »

ok i want to install realplayer to play video streams in mozilla, so when i go download realplayer for linux, there are alot of them, and i dont know which one to get, and i dont know how to run them either, if someone can please direct me to a linux newbie site, that would me much appreciated, I also downloaded a updated version of gaim, in rpm form and i thougth you can just run it by clicking on it, but i guess not, what are the commands to run files, realize its just not double clicking like in windows
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Gee . . . umm . . .

Code: Select all

emerge realplayer
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
DarkManX4lf
Novice

Post by DarkManX4lf »

thx, Trogdor that helped and workd, ok now i have one more problem, or actually two more, the first one is when i start gentoox and when i go into mozilla my xbox starts flashing orange, doesnt that mean it wants user input or something? anyway the orange flashing light doesnt go away even if i close mozilla, and the second thing is, lets say i downloaded a program for linux, and i wanted to install it, how would i go about doing so?
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

Read the "Portage" section here.
DarkManX4lf
Novice

Post by DarkManX4lf »

im sorry, i guess im slow or something, so basically if idownload a rpm, lets say the rpm is gaim.rpm, all i would have to do is go to the konsole/terminal and type in emerge gaim.rpm? or would ihave to put it in the portage/distfiles dir and then type emerge gaim.rpm?
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

You don't download anything yourself. Portage does it for you.

Code: Select all

emerge gaim
downloads and compiles for you. All available packages can be found by following the link "nearly 6000 packages" in the "Portage" section on that page.

PS. rpm is RedHat package.
DarkManX4lf
Novice

Post by DarkManX4lf »

oh wow, thats pretty neat, thx rocketeer, i also posted about the orange light flashing, i dont know how to get rid of it, when installing gentoox, im pretty sure it said that the orange light flashing means that it requires user input, anyone know how to get rid of this? Also i ran "emerge -u world" to update everything, and while its dong that my xbox is flashing red, im pretty sure that means error, but the update is stil going as if there are no problems, but that orange light is kinda annoying, does that happen to anyone?
DarkManX4lf
Novice

Post by DarkManX4lf »

ok i just did "emerge gaim" and it took like a half hour to update it from version .70 to .72, and .75 is the latest version.....there has to be a faster way to update stuff....also after emerge is finished updating my cpu is at a constant 100% usage....is it still updating somthing? anyone have a fix for this?
Skunkalaxy
Linux User

Post by Skunkalaxy »

If you "emerge" something you download the latest source code from a Gentoo mirror and then your xbox starts compiling the source code so that you get an executable program instead of program code, that's why it takes like a half hour to "update" gaim, and that's also the reason why your cpu usage is at 100%. It can sometimes take up to 3 days to emerge bigger programs such as IceWM (because of PyQt) and KDE. But smaller stuff like Apache only takes about an hour or so, something like that.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

the reason you ended up with gaim 0.72 is that is the latest version marked stable on gentoo, although the latest stable release is actually 0.75 this hasn't been tested enough with gentoo to be considered stable.
Read the portage guide you were sent a link for, to point you in the right direction
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gaim
will install the latest unstable version (0.75-r5)
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

The orange flashing light means medium system load, it will go away after you close mozilla and wait 5 minutes.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
DarkManX4lf
Novice

Post by DarkManX4lf »

i tried to use this command "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gaim" and it just updated gaim to the next version, thx shallax yea the orange light stopped flashing after closing mozilla....but im still not sure on how to update gaim straight to the latest version.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is the right way to go, make sure youve synced first.. if it still doesnt work, that means its not in portage yet.
DarkManX4lf
Novice

Post by DarkManX4lf »

aight shallax i'll do that, by the way, if i did emerge -u world how long would it take to update everything? and also how long would emerge sync take?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

How long's a piece of string.