Support for both LBA48 f only and f+g (UNTESTED PATCH)

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
BeeWarloc

Support for both LBA48 f only and f+g (UNTESTED PATCH)

Post by BeeWarloc »

The subject says it all. It's only a hack, and I don't know if it works, but it should enable users of both one big f: (>137gb) and users of f: + g: to be able to use the same kernel:

* /dev/hda55: F with G partition over 137 (LBA28)
* /dev/hda56: G partition (LBA48)
* /dev/hda57: F partition that fills the whole disk (LBA48)

I did this in 2 minutes with a hope that someone could test it, as I don't have the time right now, if I have the time later I could test it further and make it autodetect what is used..

the file: http://217.8.146.157/xbox.c
patch against 2.4.23: http://217.8.146.157/xbox.c.patch

put this in fs/partitions/ in your kernel source, and compile :)

PS: /dev/hda55+56 and /dev/hda57 should not be used at the same time as they are overlapping..
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Erm, does this allow me to convert my Gentoox install from E:\rootfs to say G:\ without complicated stuff and commands like? Does it kind of work like the magic-f and magic-e drive scripts?
* /dev/hda55: F with G partition over 137 (LBA28)
* /dev/hda56: G partition (LBA48)
Erm, bit newb here but I don't understand. I have a 160GB drive and I have Xecuter 4980.67 and Gentoox bios in both banks what would be the best option for me? I have about 20GB on my G and would love to install Gentoox all nativly on it.

oh btw I know nothing of compiling and would magic contain kernel .23 I guess it does (can't remember lol).
BeeWarloc

Post by BeeWarloc »

Hmm.. You can just ignore this patch. The new kernel will work for you out of the box (if you have a xecuter 49**.67 bios).

This was probably a stupid place to put a kernel patch anyway..

Cheers :)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I was just gonna say, i thought id seen that code in the kernel already ;)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
pipperoXbox

Post by pipperoXbox »

Hello!
I still cannot install linux on f: (at least, over fatx).
I have an Xbox V1.6, a drive which require LBA48 addressing, my BIOS supports it (it's an EvoX M8 1.6), anyway i have a Xenium ICE so i can install other bioses if needed (on one bank i actually flashed the loader which comes along with Gentoox).
What can i do?
Thanks a lot.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

no drive ever requires lba48 addressing. Switch it back to 24bit ;\
pipperoXbox

Post by pipperoXbox »

Wow that was a fast reply! :)
Well, problem is that my f: partition (fatx) is above 137GB.
The Gentoox installer refused since the beginning to write on it, so i installed as fatx over e:
Finally, when Gentoox was running, i used magic f-drive, but the script complained that i couldn't save over it.
The next boot, linux hangs up pretty quickly, at the moment of mounting the file system i think (obviously, since the filesystem was basically erased from the disk).
I guess a workaround would be to activate g: partition and resize f: to 137GB (or whatever is the exact number), but i cannot make a backup of f: (i don't have another drive) and i really wouldn't like to lose my data on f:
Well, hope there is another way?
Cheers.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Nope, resizing F wouldnt help either.. you MUST format the drive with lba24, not lba48 ;\
pipperoXbox

Post by pipperoXbox »

So i'm doomed.. :D
Thanks a lot!