Firebird

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
lovin it!
Adept

Firebird

Post by lovin it! »

What do I save when I need to reinstall Gentoox?

I want to save settings for everything in Mozilla.

it runs from /usr/lib

I have searched the Mozill Firebird site to no avail.

should I save that whole Firebird folder?
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

NO! NO, NO, NO!

In your home directory, run

ls -A

You will see a bunch of hidden files. Save the ones relevant to Firebird.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

lol, I saved all 34 megs of the Mozilla Firebird Folder, from within the usr/lib/mozilla/

and it worked...saved my bookmarks, but it killed my abilities to play yahoo games :(

sooooo....

thx to the ease of installing Shallox's wonderful operating system (I know he didnt write it all from scratch, but whoa! he should be paid :)

all I did was pop in my dvd backup of my rootfs and all the files that come with stardust...hehe

15 minute installation of GentooX :)

so now I'll look in my home directory and see what I can play with.
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

hmmm...

this probably means that I should save the home directory...

will that save my passwords for programs, as well as bookmarks and such, makes sense dont it?

if not ill tell ya lol
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

nope!

I can save most of my home directory, but wont copy 12 files (1258 of 1270)
then...

ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.kde
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.java/.userPrefs/.user.lk?n@? o@
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.kde.backup
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.kde3.1
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.kde3.1/share/services/nk?n@? o@
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.kde3.1/Autostart/.directory
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.kde3.1/Autostart/.directory
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.phoenix
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.openoffice/1.0.2/setup
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.openoffice/1.0.2/soffice
ln: Operation not permitted /mnt/fatx/e/Linux stuff DontDelete/home/gentoox/.openoffice/1.0.2/spadmin
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

these are probably symbolic links which can only exist on unix filesystems. To back these up you need to make a loopback on your e drive format it in ext2, reiserfs or ext3 and then copy the files to there
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Nah, "tar -cjvf ~/backup.tbz2 ~/" That will backup your whole home directory including symlinks into ~/backup.tbz2
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

That would be the proper way to do it, (and it's the way I do it on my linux server at work)
but if you're mad you'd do it like me.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

Thx a Million

Now, can I just delete the Home directory and paste this one in, ... or what would be the correct way of doing this?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

rm -rf /home/gentoox
cd /home/
tar -jxvf /path/to/backup.tbz2

That should have you sorted. Run those commands as root.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

Awesome,thx,

but I did figure out that /home/geNtoox/phoenix/default contains the Firebird settings(just the default profile)

and /home/gentoox/gaim is the folder that contains the settings for gaim

now reinstallation is even better.