samba working smb.conf?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
buttis

samba working smb.conf?

Post by buttis »

Have been trying to get my samba to work on home ed 3.0... seems like impossible if you aint a pro on linux.. does anyone have a working smb.conf to post? i´ll be greatfull.. or if its just some changes from the original ...

thanks
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Samba should already be configured on home 3.0 the easiest way to do simple samba configuration is using webmin. This can be done from the xbox or another computer connected to the xbox over a network.

Just point your browser to http://xbox_ip:10000 log in and go to the samba module on the servers page.

A good simple smb.conf file would be

Code: Select all

[global]
workgroup = workgroup
netbios name = xbox
security = user

[homes]
writeable = yes

[Xbox E Drive]
path = /mnt/fatx/e
comment = The Xbox E drive
valid users = gentoox
writeable = yes

[Xbox F Drive]
path = /mnt/fatx/f
comment = The Xbox F drive
valid users = gentoox
writeable = yes
[/code]
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
buttis

Post by buttis »

i have tried with webmin and with /etc/smb.conf .. doesnt do it for me.. if i write findsmb in a shell it says the ip and +workgroup and so on.. but i cant log on to it and it wont show up in "networksettings" on my pc/xp..
im behind a router and got dhcp adresses and so are the xbox. that shouldnt be a problem??

thanks
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

My SAmba seems to work,

I have home 3.0, and never did nothing other than select it to startup with Gentoox...(never configured anything). I can view all computers(Windows and Linux running Samba) on my network, from my Xbox.

My problem is, I cant reverse that...cause when I try "find computers" from either of my windows computers, it find the XBOXes...but it asks for a pw...

What is the default SAMBA password to get in from Windows?
buttis

Post by buttis »

my problem is that i cant connect to my xbox from windows pc.. it doesnt find it.. where and what do you write to find it?
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

from a computer on the network, right click on my network places(desktop in 98 & ME)...then click on "search for computers"

from an XBOX open xffm, then click open SMB network

all there is to it
Last edited by lovin it! on Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

open a run box (start run) and type \\xbox then click ok
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?