RTSP Streaming Server

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
trixter
Adept

RTSP Streaming Server

Post by trixter »

Is there a RTSP streaming video server than can be emerged in gentoox? I want to try an experiment streaming a video stream to a single IP address.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I was quite interested in this so I took a look into it. I tried to compile Helix, however they only support gcc 2.95 (get with the times) so I got build errors. Portage offers live which has a few tools including a nice command line program that lets you stream vob files, but that probably isn't what you are after. It doesn't support unicast anyway.

This leaves me with Darwin which is made by apple, I'll let you know how I get on.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I have now downloaded the binary version of helix seems to work fine I have tested it with mp3 and real audio can't find any real video to test I'll let you know how it works when I discover where I have hidden my backup discs.

I wrote a script to run the server in /etc/init.d to start and stop the server (really simple one) and added it to default runlevel with rc-update
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I just realised how much memory it requires and removed it from the default runlevel
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

Let me know how your testing comes out on this. I don't want to run it all the time, just once and a while.