Can't mount f partition after runnin new Magic

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
trixter
Adept

Can't mount f partition after runnin new Magic

Post by trixter »

I have two linux partitions on my xbox--the regular rootfs on the E drive and a second 4 gigabyte partition called f_xboxfs on my F drive. Previous to running the new Magic the f_xboxfs partition would automatically get mounted at boot time. After running the new Magic I get and error message at boot time saying "can't mount /mnt/fatx/f/f_xboxfs because no such file or directory exists". The fact is it does exist and I can still manually mount it by doing "mount /mnt/f_xboxfs".

In my /mnt directory I have folder called f_xboxfs which is empty until I manually run the "mount /mnt/f_xboxfs" command; then it contains all my stuff on the f linux partition. In the /mnt/fatx directory I can see my f_xboxfs file, but it isn't mounted until I manually do so.

I thought that ShALLaX had a tutorial on building and mounting a second f partition which I followed some time ago to set this all up. Now I can't find the tutorial. In any event, how can I fix my boot scripts so that once again my f_xboxfs partition on the f drive gets mounted automatically at boot time? Thanks.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

Trixter this happened to me too.

Edit fstab in /etc and change the order of mounting

i.e. make sure f gets mounted before f_xboxfs
if it's not then it can't mount

Xboxgeek
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

In case it helps, here is a funny looking line from the contents of my /etc/fstab file:

/mnt/fatx/f/f_xboxfs /mnt/f_xboxfs reiserfs loop,defaults 0 0

Did magic mess this up? How should I edit it? Thanks.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

Each line of the fstab is a mount. Somewhere in there you should have a line that mounts /mnt/fatx/f

Just make sure that line is before this one
/mnt/fatx/f/f_xboxfs /mnt/f_xboxfs reiserfs loop,defaults 0 0

Otherwise you are trying to mount something that is not there & until f gets mounted /mnt/fatx/f/f_xboxfs can not exist (to gentoox)
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

Thanks Xboxgeek. That was indeed the problem which has now been solved with your help.