custom partition sizes?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
mouchyn

custom partition sizes?

Post by mouchyn »

I have a 250GB hard drive and currently, it's all one big F drive. Gentoo doesn't really like that too much, so I was thinking:

Can i format my F drive to be something small like 20-30GB and have the G drive take up the rest?

Or am I stuck with having a 137GB F drive with G taking up the rest?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

There are quite a few solutions to your problem but the smallest F you can have is 137GB do a search in the forum for partition 7, hda56, LBA48 this should bring them all up. If you want to keep your F drive the same then you need to recompile the kernel after editing the source.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
mouchyn

Post by mouchyn »

nobspangle wrote:There are quite a few solutions to your problem but the smallest F you can have is 137GB do a search in the forum for partition 7, hda56, LBA48 this should bring them all up. If you want to keep your F drive the same then you need to recompile the kernel after editing the source.
i know i have many options, and I know all the current data says the smallest partition i can have for Drive F is 137GB.

I was asking (posting a NEW topic) to jog the minds of people who are a bit more familiar with the subject than I am. I'm sure there's a way to modify the bios (or something) to make the F drive smaller and letting G handle the left over space...

I'm sorry if it sounded like a lazy newb question. I will not accept that i'm totally stuck with a 137GB F drive. If it's a hard drive, and we can modify the bios to switch between a big F and two separate drives (f and g), then there HAS to be a way that SOMEONE can mod the bios to have a much smaller F and a much bigger G. That's just logic.

Now...someone who can mod the bios on a programmer's level needs to read this and get it done :)
mouchyn

Post by mouchyn »

NghtShd from xbox-scene.com writes:
the default is to use the partition table from the hard disk. This is the way to handle partition tables, so that the partitioning scheme will be tied to the disk and not the BIOS. All the BIOS's supported by XBtool except X2 4979 will work with custom partition sizes (Xecuter left out the option to default to the HD partition table when they incorporated Paul's LBA48 code in 4979).

The catch: someone needs to write an app to write the partition table.
Anyone up for writing an app to write an xbox partition table?
Maturola
Novice

Bios is Unstable

Post by Maturola »

Hi
hey i was playing around with some bios some time ago, and i got to have a smaller F drive (i have a 250 G too), i was actually looking to get a External USB hardDrive to work. however all the result was a BIOS really really unstable, the xbox just got freeze every 5 min, sometimes the nvidia chip just went crazy and started spiting out colors!.

so the reason because the F drive is parttion that way is for stability.

So this is still on develoment, i know team xecuter have something cooking for the Xecuter3. but we still have to wait!
Linux Rorcks
http://www.newageps.com
Secure Web Hosting
http://www.fulluptime.com
General Linux Help
http://www.linuxevolution.org
chro

Post by chro »

Hey mouchyn, point me to some documentation and I'll be happy to write a program that can dink with the partition tables.

I'm at work right now, so I've got limited time, but otherwise, I've been looking for a way to get a smaller F drive as well. I don't see any problem with having to recompile the kernel and doing some modifications to the system bios or lowlevel harddisk operations to get what I want. That's all part of the fun... right? :P

-Chro