Setting HOC / VOC used by xbvset manually to XF86Config

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
jj352

Setting HOC / VOC used by xbvset manually to XF86Config

Post by jj352 »

Where can I set the HOC VOC values in XF86Config without using xbvset ?

This edit from my existing config which runs X at 1024x768 but doesn't fill my monitor... is the answer in the ModeLine ?

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
HorizSync 30-55
VertRefresh 45-65
Option "DPMS"
UseModes "default"
vendorname "[Generic Monitor]"
modelname "[Generic Monitor]"
ModeLine "1024x768/60Hz" 65 1024 1032 1176 1344 768 771 777 806 -HSync -VSync
EndSection
NOOB
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Do you mean monitor like a computer monitor or monitor like a television. If you mean television you won't be able to get 1024x768 on a normal TV. There is no way you'd be able to read the text.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
jj352

Post by jj352 »

It is a Hitachi 42" plasma diplay , input is RGB scart from XBOX>SVideo converter > SVideo in to display. I know I could use RGB VGA but that would fv<k up my home theatre set-up.

I am successfully running 1024 x 768 thru svideo and I just want to fill the screen rather than have black border around the window.

Thanks for replying

Over to you ...
NOOB
¡Mysto!
Novice

Post by ¡Mysto! »

The answer is yes it is in the modeline........but are you using xbv?
If you are it has some neat routines to calculate HOC and VOC.....
jj352

Post by jj352 »

To be fair,I am really not sure what I am doing !! But this is the order in which things go wrong then right. (I have changed X settings for all users as root in a KDE wizard).

Gentoox X starts up from evox as garbled. I kill X(C_A_B), restart X and window is fine in 1024x768 ... this is set at 60Hz which according to my display manual is one of many supported modes (in RGB VGA) but remember I am inputting through S-Video.

So answer is probably no, I am not displaying successfuly with xbv, and it is being killed 2nd start of X. BTW, I have been away from Linux for some years and have forgotten where basic services initiation file is e.g. where is command startX scripted and how do I kill the XKeyboard now that I have just plugged in a shiny new USB one and so don't need the GUI version anymore.
NOOB
¡Mysto!
Novice

Post by ¡Mysto! »

Right for your modeline try http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

I think .startx is in /home/gentoox/ and /root/

Look at the tutorials and search the forums as this stuff has come up before :wink:
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

jj352 wrote:e.g. where is command startX scripted and how do I kill the XKeyboard now that I have just plugged in a shiny new USB one and so don't need the GUI version anymore.
The file you need to stop xvkbd starting is /home/gentoox/.xinitrc
also change /root/.xinitrc and /etc/skel/.xinitrc to cover root and any future users you add.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?