Troubles understanding Linux?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Demothesis

Troubles understanding Linux?

Post by Demothesis »

For anyone who would like a better understanding of Linux, as in those who are converting from Microsoft crap etc... Check out this link.

http://www.linux.org/lessons/
-Demothesis
-----------------------------------------------------
Demonstrating a proposition maintained by argument.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

as in those who are converting from Microsoft crap
I have noticed that a lot of people on this forum slag off Microsoft software. Now I know Microsoft aren't the greatest of companies, global capitalism, monopoly yada yada, but Microsoft's desktop PC software, is without doubt second to none. Plus Bill Gates was nice enough to give each of us a fully functioning PC for next to nothing.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Demothesis

Random speech

Post by Demothesis »

Please excuse my expression of random speech. I don't really feel that microsoft is crap at all, as a matter of fact props to Gates for tackling it first and succeeding quite impressively!!! Frustration is just common when working with windows, etc. My comment on Microsoft in general was also misplaced, because microsoft creates some of the best software for various devices such as PDA's, etc. I have nothing against Microsoft in general, I just wish they would be a bit more open-minded to what the public wants.
-Demothesis
-----------------------------------------------------
Demonstrating a proposition maintained by argument.
winterborne
Pro

It's late...forgive my ramblings.

Post by winterborne »

[As this thread gets even more off topic...] I've just recently (last few months) started using Gentoo on my home PC. In that time I've come to appreciate some of the things that Microsoft's Windows does. For the most part it's quick and effective. Well, at least it's easy. I also have always had respect for Microsoft Word, and (though I've had little use for it) the rest off the Office suite. However, in regards to my previous comment, things are getting more and more bloated. Without question. (And don't get me started about their business practices... :wink: if you thought this was a long post...heh) I've also been amazingly pleased at the stability of Linux as compared to Windows. In these few months I've been using Linux, the only times I've had my system crash (twice), is when I've been using wine. As compared to, on Windows (98 and 2000 pro), several times a day. I've also never had to reinstall Linux due to too many messed up system files (as would occur with Windows every month or two). Linux, [back on topic, to a certain extent, now] of course, has a much, much steeper learning curve than Windows. The number of hours I've spent reading and researching online in the last few months is probably more than I spent trying to figure out anything while using Windows. (I, of course, exaggerate a bit.) However, though not exactly user friendly, Linux is incredibly powerful, giving the end user an amazing amount of control and flexibilty, the depths of which I've only just begun to explore. In conclusion [finally, back on topic] I suggest not only following the link above, but to never stop looking (it's not often that I dont have a google search up, or IRC chat going). The information is out there...