I love GentooX. Is PC Gentoo just as good?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
DracFlamloc
Linux User

I love GentooX. Is PC Gentoo just as good?

Post by DracFlamloc »

Hey, I actually have two questions.

One: I repacked distro.rar from the extracted ISO for Gentoox because I wanted a pre-setup rootfs. Should I use XISO to create my CDRW or should I just make a regular ISO. I'm using the X2 bios.

Two: I love Gentoox! Thanks ShaLLaX! Anyway... I was wondering if anyone here had experience with Gentoo, more specifically if it has all the packages for laptop compatibility. I want linux on my PC but I don't want to use redhat or mandrake because they are too dumbified and I won't learn anything.
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

I installed gentoo linux on a PC to see what it was like and it seems just like gentoox. But remember Gentoox is a distro so it comes with a software already installed like the KDE & XFCE graphical interface where as gentoo is just the OS so you will have to emerge everything yourself but its worth a go cos it will teach you a bit about whats happening in gentoox on the xbox..
DracFlamloc
Linux User

Post by DracFlamloc »

Oh so gentoo doesn't come with any preinstalled stuff then? It'd probably make it pretty tough to get running on a laptop then huh. :shock: Ah well. I'll give it a shot anyway!

Do you know if emerge is a standard tool that comes with linux distros?
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

once you have installed gentoo linux onto your laptop you will have all you need to start installing software using the "emerge" command. go to http://www.gentoo.org/ and you can get all the instructions you need to install it.
scoobydu
Linux Expert

Post by scoobydu »

I can totally recommend gentoo!

It is more involved distro though. Shallax has done a hell of a lot of work with the home edition of gentoox.

Perhaps have a try with gentoox pro, as it is more like gentoo, with some xbox tweaks.

gentoo.org has a great community, THE most helpful out there, IMHO.

So you shouldn't get stuck getting your machines up and running :)

cheers
Anastrophe
Novice

Post by Anastrophe »

I'm also trying to setup Gentoo on an (reasonably) old Ipaq PC.

Day 3 and counting, it's been a real bitch for a ignoramous like me

Makes me all the more appreciative of all the effort Shallax has put into Gentoox!!!!
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

DracFlamloc wrote:Oh so gentoo doesn't come with any preinstalled stuff then?Do you know if emerge is a standard tool that comes with linux distros?
1) Yes, you can get the Gentoo Reference Platform (GRP) install, that has pre-built packages. But isn't that against the point of gentoo?

2) Nope. Emerge is only in Gentoo. Debian has apt-get, which d/ls a binary. But emerge is better.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Loke

Post by Loke »

The xbox is a pc you know..
DracFlamloc
Linux User

Post by DracFlamloc »

Well it's a PC but without legacy driver support. And I did get gentoo installed on my laptop. Works like a charm and I have it running Fluxbox