2 XboXes same gentooX install - video scrambled on TV?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
ToeRag
Novice

2 XboXes same gentooX install - video scrambled on TV?

Post by ToeRag »

I'm just getting into this XboX hacking thing. I bought one XboX then another; one mod'd with an Xecuter2.2Pro the Other with and X.B.I.T.

Running evox on both (created from same SLaYeRs 2.5 install), same bios M7. I installed gentooX on the Xecuter2.2. box first, (older 1.1 I think) works perfectly! customized it, to my liking. Runs VNC on startup, boots from evox menu (with IGR disabled). Hooked it up to both of my TVs, works the same. So I FTP'd the root of E where gentooX lives to my PC burned to a DVD-R using SimpleX iso, then Nero. Plopped it into my other XboX (1.5 I think)and copied all the files over to it's root E. Everything runs perfectly as you would expect a cloned copy to. The only problem is I can't see it on my TV! the video is twisted and warpped beyond being able to make sense out of it. Way of of freq. scrolling and rolling.

I can connect via SSH and VNC like a charm, everything with the exception of the video is perfect. What is the difference that would cause such a thing? is it the 1.1 vs. 1.5 or my mod chips? I haven't tried the 1.5 box on the other TV yet, that will complete the troubleshooting but did M$ change the video card/chips between these things where the freq would be that different? can I change that?

It's not just in Xwindows it's even the linux bios bootup splash screen where it goes south...

any ideas?

~ToeRag.
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

if it works in the console then it fucks up in the xserver then your settings in the initrc are funky or incorrect check that the ntsc/pal is right....

i dunno read the manual ;)
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

fuz wrote:if it works in the console then it fucks up in the xserver then your settings in the initrc are funky or incorrect check that the ntsc/pal is right....

i dunno read the manual ;)
it's messed up from the get go... not just X. is it the bios that is loading prior to boot? is that the 640x480 800x600 issue choice? I'm running 640x480 as when it was installed.
~ToeRag.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If it's a 1.4 or 1.5 Xbox it won't work they use a different video output which doesn't work with linux. There is more info on the Xbox-linux pages at sourceforge
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

nobspangle wrote:If it's a 1.4 or 1.5 Xbox it won't work they use a different video output which doesn't work with linux. There is more info on the Xbox-linux pages at sourceforge
humm.. I thought I recalled something about a change ... does anyone know if this is just a matter of time before a fix is found? or is this a permanent show stopper?(that would be hard to believe)

I'm still confused with the whole BIOS thing as I was going through the install it seemed like I needed Cromwell for linux to work, yet my M7 bios flash is what is selected via mod chip dip switches, and gentooX works fine (on my 1.1 xbox) I had gone through the process of installing Cromwell 2.27 on one of the banks however.
~ToeRag.
¡Mysto!
Novice

Post by ¡Mysto! »

The new xboxs have a different video encoder chip, x-box linux should have a driver for it soon, ShAllaX has promised a patch once it comes
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

*shakes Mysto's hand* Wow, someone does read what i write!
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

ShALLaX wrote:*shakes Mysto's hand* Wow, someone does read what i write!
me too.. I now know ther are two people that are in the loop.

some times I wonder how many are really hacking xboxes. and what is the big fuss/....

anyway THANKS for a GREAT port to XBOX.. I used to play around with linux back in the 90's now I can play again for a reason. I wish ther were more native apps for gentooX. the office apps are a GREAT start...
~ToeRag.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Huh?? All x86 apps will work for gentoox!
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

ShALLaX wrote:Huh?? All x86 apps will work for gentoox!
oh.. I thought gentooX was different, in that the kernel was compiled for the xbox CPU, so the software needed to be as well. Is there a package installer such as RPM for gentooX?

I'm not that experianced with compiling/installing applications in LINUX.
~ToeRag.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The xbox is an x86 cpu it's a 733 MHz pentium III/celeron

on the subject of package managment the word RTFM springs to mind
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Haha, thats the spirit.. im not the only person who has to beat people down now.
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

¡Mysto! wrote:The new xboxs have a different video encoder chip, x-box linux should have a driver for it soon, ShAllaX has promised a patch once it comes
is this what will hopefully help correct the problem ... ??

"Well folks it's been a long time in the making but we finally cracked it. As most of you know the new v1.4 and v1.5 Xbox had a new FOCUS video encoder (FS454) which replaced the old Conexant version (CX25871) and video output could no longer be generated."
~ToeRag.
slick

Post by slick »

¡Mysto! wrote:The new xboxs have a different video encoder chip, x-box linux should have a driver for it soon, ShAllaX has promised a patch once it comes
Any ideas when? any idication will satisfy....
will any other version of xbox-linux run? or is this a problem for all xbox-linux versions?
Lpop
Linux User

Post by Lpop »

hi, is the video enoder now finished developed for the gentoox home edition 3.1 ? is this version running correct with xbox version v1.5 ?

regards lpop