Most developers probably never hear such things as this...

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
DancingTofu
Linux User

Most developers probably never hear such things as this...

Post by DancingTofu »

Hello, ShaLLaX!

I bought an Xbox for the sole purpose of installing linux on it in 2005. I read up on Xebian, the Xbox Debian distro, and also a version of Damn Small Linux for the Xbox before running into your site about Gentoox. I knew that this was going to be the one for me. I installed it natively onto my Xbox and used it as an FTP/HTTP server and hosted a now defunct site for a computer networking class in school. It was a great learning experience and I loved every second of it. My friends would come over and see my xbox and ask, "What games do you have?" or, "Where is the TV you use for it?" and I would explain that I use it as a server and they would ask how I installed Windows on it, and I would explain that it was not Windows at all, but a free and open source OS called Linux and that this particular flavor was called Gentoox. While some thought it was a neat project and others thought it was a waste of good hardware, one person decided that he would install Gentoox on his xbox as well.

What in the world does this have to do with the subject? Get to the point, already!

My point is, ShaLLaX, if it weren't for your dedication to this project, then none of that would have happened. If I am not mistaken, you developed Gentoox on your own with no real team. Not to mention you have had lots of school and personal life along the way. You could have decided that Gentoox was not important and let it grow stagnant and decay itself away. Although you did put development and updates on hold for small periods of time, you would always come back and keep working. You deserve much more than a simple thank you, but I am afraid that is all I can give (well, a donation would be nice, too, right? :D ). I am sad to see the forum activity slowly dwindle to nothingness, although I can't say that I really contributed to keeping it alive. I'm sure you no longer work on Gentoox, if you are still doing so then it is a big surprise to me. What you have done, though, is a great job! Gentoox shall always hold a nice place in my heart, being my first linux distro I actually used more than a few hours.

Long days and pleasant nights to you, ShaLLaX. Thanks again for your effort and time in this project. I enjoy using it to this day very much. I don't know what you are working on now, but if it receives the same devotion and care that was put into Gentoox, then it will be a damn good project. Cheers!

Also, as a gift to you, if you are doing another project that involves hardware, but can't seem to get the funds to purchase it, let me know. It may take me am month or so to get the funds, but if it is a reasonably priced piece of hardware, I will donate at least 50% of the cost to you. Just shoot me an email at d4ncing70fu@gmail.com.
1.4 Xbox
Xecuter 3.0 Modchip with Gentoox BIOS
40 GB HDD Full Native

The search tool is your best friend! :D
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Re: Most developers probably never hear such things as this...

Post by ShALLaX »

Thank you for the very kind words (and sorry for the delayed response, but I don't find time to check the forums much!). As you may be aware, I still work on Gentoox :)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo