gentoox supposed to be really slow? I'm guessing so

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
soccerdude21490

gentoox supposed to be really slow? I'm guessing so

Post by soccerdude21490 »

Hey everyone, well I'm tryin out Gentoox on my Xbox, but when I click to open FireFox it still takes at least half a minute if not longer, I know not to expect a "super fast" normal operating system. But still, the xbox isn't THIS sucky to not be able to run it faster (in my opinion)

Am I doing something wrong?

clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Are you running XFCE or KDE? That'll make a big difference (XFCE being the much faster of the two).

You have to keep in mind that you're trying to run the full gui environment on a PC that may be 733 MHz (?), but only has 64MB of RAM. If you install another 64MB, it'll make a substantial difference, but the install isn't trivial.
soccerdude21490

Post by soccerdude21490 »

I'm runnin XFCE as far as I remember at the little tutorial though, but when it came to when it suggest to put 13 (I forget the thing), I accidentally put a letter in there, so it messed up the tutorial mode and sent me to the terminal. But I restarted and things then worked fine, but Idk if it saved the settings or not.

Do you know if I can go back to the tutorial or not to finish setting up the config?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Those settings aren't for KDE vs. XFCE, they're just for resolution/video mode. If you can see the screen fine, then you're ok. If you installed recently, then you're using XFCE, as that's what the newer releases default to.

It's probably just the lag associated with running a large app like firefox on a system with only 64MB memory. Especially when you compare it to the usual PC that's 2GHz w/ 512MB memory =)
yabel
Linux User

Post by yabel »

i have v 6.07 and it loads KDE not XFCE. Is it the difference from installin native or not?