Xbox versions

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
clpalmer
Power user

Xbox versions

Post by clpalmer »

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to running on older versions of xbox? i know the 1.6 has it's issues, but is there anything I should be thinking about when buying something between 1.0 and 1.5? Is there anything that won't work or has issues with some of the older/newer versions?
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

I don't think there is any benefit to Gentoox but I've always tried to obtain 1.2 -> 1.5's as these can be modded for 'free' without the need for a chip!
http://www.cheesyboofs.co.uk/site/tutorial02.html
If you purchase one off eBay say with a broken DVD drive ask the seller for the SN then you can check which version it is on this site: http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Versions_HOWTO
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

How come you say 1.2->1.5 instead of 1.0->1.5? What's the issue with 1.0 and 1.1 boxes? I have a 1.0 that's softmodded and running fine, but I didn't do the softmod on it (bought it already modded) so I don't know what the difference is.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Oh no reason its just you cant mod 1.0, 1.1 and 1.6's by my preferred method, plus if you open a 1.0 or 1.1 the architecture looks more AT than ATX.
But they all run Gentoox fine.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

What's different with modding 1.0-1.1 instead of 1.2-1.5? Thought the wiring was a bit different with 1.0-1.1 but after that the rest of the procedure should be the same? (minus the need to create a 1MB bios instead of 256k). In any case, mine's already been softmodded, so I'm good to go =)