help with connecting to nonmodded xbox with a crossover cabl

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
mathugh

help with connecting to nonmodded xbox with a crossover cabl

Post by mathugh »

i am tring to get into my non modded xbox with a crossover cable i have tried every thing i can thank of but nothing i am trying to get xbox media center onto the box i tried just making a dvd r but my xbox will not read cdr or dvdr aparetly so i want to use a crossover cable to get the media center on it is this possible or not help me please
ManReal
Novice

Post by ManReal »

not possible from what I've heard.
RapCitSD

Post by RapCitSD »

Not going to happen. What you would have to do is open your xbox, turn it on then unplug the ide cable, and an ide cable from your computer into the xbox hard-drive. Usually, a procedure not for the faint of heart.

Then you will need to copy the files from your computer onto the hard drive and rename the default.xbe file to msdash.xbe and rename the xbmc.xbe file to default.xbe.

The reason is that the xbox locks the hard-drive when powered down, so you can not simply copy files around. Part of the architecture of the xbox. I would suggest you mod the xbox, since you have to open it anyways, and put a bigger hard-drive in it.
akill

Post by akill »

...retail bioses can not boot unsigned xbe files.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

You would have to do something like 007, Mechasssult, Splinter gamesave exploit to gain access to the unit without opening it, check xbox-scene/google for information.