external usb harddrive ?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
icewolfx

external usb harddrive ?

Post by icewolfx »

Ok so i researched a little and found that Shallax had accomplished this feet, but found that the speeds were impossibly slow. I was wondering if the new kernel brought something new to the table. I would suggest this as an something for the new version, but I would like others' input before asking.

Or should I just try compiling the kernel using this information:

http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... cle&sid=55
Errrrr
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

it took me a long time to get it to work, but once i figured out how to add a usb drive, it was as fast as could be expected with usb 1.1. I did some kernel stuff to get it working, but it was with the stock home 2.1 kernel source.
icewolfx

Post by icewolfx »

Sounds good, I guess I'll try attaching it sometime to see how it goes. I'd just be glad to use the old usb hd for storage because it's a usb 1.0 device.
Errrrr
aias
Novice

Post by aias »

you just have to type

modprobe -d usb-storage

your usb-hardware is then on /dev/sda
enf65
Linux User

Problem with Home v3

Post by enf65 »

Hi,

With Gentoox Home v2, I was able to use my usb harddrive, simply with modules usb-storage and sd_mod. But now with Home v3, I got a kernel error :

modprobe usb-storage : no problem, my harddrive appear in scsi devices but not in /dev/sda (but that's normal)

modprobe sd_mod : a kernel exception appear : can't handle with NULL pointer at adress 00000120. What's the problem ?

Is it due to new kernel 2.4.22 ? Have I made a mistake ?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hmm that sounds bad.. gimme a while and ill look into it
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
detroit
Novice

so did you look into it?

Post by detroit »

I had my external hdd working in the past under 2.x as well. i recently upgraded to 3.x and have not been able to get the external hdd to work, although external cd-rom works fine. I forget what I did under 2.x to get it to work, but I remember doing some stuff w/the kernel. So.. any tips on getting the hdd to work on 3.x would be appreciated.
san_pedro

Post by san_pedro »

hi ho!

enf65 said: "modprobe sd_mod : a kernel exception appear : can't handle with NULL pointer at adress 00000120. What's the problem ? "

i get that wery message but its when i run dmesg!

i would appreciate any help in the subject as i am getting tired of not getting my usb-drive to work
joshua wood

Post by joshua wood »

I too have this same issue with 2.4.22. I REALLY need my digi cam going ASAP (going overseas in 9 days...), which works exactly like external USB storage.

Does anyone pls pls pls have the older WORKING gentoox kernel or gentoox kernel source, and is there anyway I can pls pls pls get this from you?

Also, what kernel version specifically is this?

I also can't find old gentoox kernel source full stop...do I need to otherwise get vanilla source and add in all the xbox patches? I really need step by step instructions for this if someone is prepared to help out a desperate person. (Ideally a compiled working kernel would be easest and best).

/edit I've already tried compiling 2.4.22 with scsi devices loaded in rather than as modules as Shallax metions on his site with regards to getting USB storage devices to work. Still no luck.

MUCH thanks in advance,
Josh