installing gentoox thru ftp : help

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
arsi
Linux User

installing gentoox thru ftp : help

Post by arsi »

first of all dun mind if i am asking ne stupid questions bcz i am new to this..as my xbox`s dvd rom is too weak to run writable cd and dvds so i tried to do a ftp installation of gentoox....i did everything accding to the tutorial given of ftp installation..i`ve completed every step of it i.e unzipping,copying every file in e :/ blah blah blah.....but there was smething missing in the tutorial i.e WAT TO DO AFTER COPYING THE FILES OF DISTRO IN E:/ ? ? ? ? ? ? :?: .. i think dats really a stupid question but i really dont know wat to do...u just watever think of me but plz reply to me ..nd i want a step by step procedure!!!! ....i am just a beginner :oops:
arsi
Linux User

Post by arsi »

i ran gentooxx.xbe but the loader v 6.5 opens ..where i can see dvd/cd icon, web boot, net boot, advanced.....wat shud i do...am i on the right path or smething else shud happen after cliking gentooxx.xbe...all the files are in lower case as mentioned in the documentation...i hve got every file in e:/..no folder no directories...i think im doing everything rite but ???
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

You either run the gentooxx.xbe or flash with the gentoox cromwell. I thought the instructions for that was in the howto...
arsi
Linux User

Post by arsi »

still dint get the positive reply ...plz help
arsi
Linux User

Post by arsi »

i dont want a full linux xbxox in which i cannot play games....i just want gentoox installed wid evox alos running...or thru gentoox i shud be able to play games....but plzz first of all solve my problem given in the first post... :(
chipsugar

Post by chipsugar »

There are no missing steps in the tutorial. Are you sure the vmlinuz and initrd.gz are the compressed ones from distro.rar and not the uncompressed ones on the cd?

If you have the proper files you should have a "Fatx" option when running gentooxx.xbe. If that's the case then you would have a (non-native) linux which is a start. You could then partition your drive and copy the files in a similar way to the fully-native tutorial in the Q & A forum but be careful not to fdisk anywhere below where drive E finishes. However get gentooxx.xbe working first.

Another option thhat might work if you don't mind opening both you pc and xbox and burning a cd is:

Put them beside each other
Open both their cases
Take your dvd drive out of the pc but keep the power connected
Lay it on the xbox
Make sure it is set to slave via it's jumpers.
Boot the xbox to whatever dash you use
Disconnect the ide cable from the xbox drive and connect to the pc's dvd
Turn on the pc
Put the gentoo disc in the pc drive.
Delete the other linux files except gentooxx.xbe
Run gentooxx.xbe and select CD/DVD
chipsugar

Post by chipsugar »

Ok that reply is a lot more long winded than it needed to be. The txtspeek and the mention of ftp confused me and I thought you meant a native install similar to the ftp thread stickied above but without the fatx C: and E: being wiped. I see that a loopback install is what you want now.

The only thing that could really stop the Fatx option appearing that I know of is a faultly or non-existant linuxboot.cfg. Check the one on the xbox against the compressed one in the distro.rar and *not* the other one by opening them in a text editor. If that is wrong then it would be wise to ftp it with distro.rar's initrd.gz and vmlinuz again.
arsi
Linux User

Post by arsi »

first of al thnx alot for ur help...but i tried every thing u said except opening of the xbox which i cant...but stillllllll unabel to load gentoox :cry: ...still when i open gentooxx.xbe it loads that stupid loader :x ..where there is no fatx option...i`ve got cd/dvd icon,web boot,net boot and advanced optionssss......wat shud i do..plzz help!!
chipsugar

Post by chipsugar »

The best I can suggest then is that you download xromwell from http://www.xbox-scene.com and delete the second half of the linuxboot.cfg file (from "title sparkle" onwards). That may at least show why linux isn't loading.
arsi
Linux User

Post by arsi »

shud i flash the bios xromwell...?? wat is the diff btw cromwell and xromwel ?? and remember i do not need a linux xbox...will i be able to restore my bios later again ??
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Xromwell is an executable, it will not work if flashed to a modchip. Cromwell is the bios version of Xromwell - Cromwell can be flashed to a modchip.

As far as I remember, the only reason the "FatX" option would not show up is if your linuxboot.cfg file does not exist or it cannot find the vmlinuz file within the linuxboot.cfg file.

Since you spent the best part of a week annoying me over IRC on how to reflash your modchip with another bios (which is documented and extremely straight forward)... I would advise you AGAINST ever reflashing your modchip.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
arsi
Linux User

Post by arsi »

linuxboot.cfg does exist....and it also consists of vmlinuz line...so now wat shud i do ?
arsi
Linux User

Post by arsi »

title Gentoox
kernel vmlinuz
initrd initrd.gz
append init=/linuxrc installtype=e-drive root=/dev/ram0 kbd-reset video=xbox:640x480,nohwcursor,hoc=13,voc=13
title Sparkle
kernel vmlinuz
initrd sprkrd.gz
append load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=26215 rw root=/dev/ram kbd-reset

this is wat my linuxboot.cgf contains...is it ok ?/
arsi
Linux User

Post by arsi »

plzz reply...
chipsugar

Post by chipsugar »

download xromwell to the e:\ folder and delete from title sparkle in the linuxboot.cfg file like I said earlier then run xromwell It might not get linux loading but should then say WHY it won't load.