Can't Emerge Samba!!!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
raid517
Novice

Can't Emerge Samba!!!

Post by raid517 »

Hi, I am trying to upgrade to the latest version of Samba - but when I try 'emerge --pretend samba' I get the foillowing error:

Code: Select all

emerge --pretend samba

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[blocks B     ] <=x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9 (is blocking x11-misc/util-macros-1.1.0, x11-libs/xtrans-1.0.1, x11-libs/libSM-1.0.1, x11-proto/xproto-7.0.7, x11-libs/libICE-1.0.1)
Does anyone know how to overcome this? I need to try the latest version of Samba as the current version I have seems a tad unstable.

I don't want to upgrade my current version of X as as we know, Xorg is not well supported on the Xbox. (In any case what I have works and is more than good enough for what I need).

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

raid517
Novice

Post by raid517 »

OK I don't know what did it, but among the various things I read there, it seems I did something that finally allowed Samba to compile. So thanks for that.

However now I have a slightly different problem. You see I have an MP3 player (Archos 100GB) attached to my Xbox, which works as a harddisk under Xbox Linux.

The purpose of this is so that I can sync my music collection betwen my Xbox and my MP3 player and also so that I can transfer music to my MP3 player wirelessly from my desktop PC and my laptop.

However all that is very besides the point - as the only important thing to remember is that my MP3 player behaves as a hard disk in Gentoox and that it is mounted at /mnt/usb.

In any case previously as I have said Samba was a little unstable (it seems more stable and also faster now since I updated it) as it would tend to cut out a lot and crash when transfering large files.

Nonetheless it did work - and specifically it worked when tranferring files wirelessly to my MP3 player too.

However the long and short of it is that since updating Samba, my MP3 player seems to no longer be writable.

If I try to transfer a file to it, I get a very frustrating 'permission denied' error.

I can't get my head around this, as my smb.conf file has not changed since updating Samba.

Indeed it is still as follows below.

Code: Select all

[global]
	dns proxy = no 
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	netbios name = xbox
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
	load printers = yes
	printing = cups
	server string = Samba Server %v
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
	workgroup = Xbox
	os level = 20
	encrypt passwords = yes
	printcap name = lpstat
	security = user
	max log size = 50

[root]
	writeable = yes
	path = /

[c]
	writeable = yes
	path = /mnt/fatx/c

[d]
	writeable = yes
	path = /mnt/cdrom

[e]
	writeable = yes
	path = /mnt/fatx/e

[f]
	writeable = yes
	path = /mnt/fatx/f

[MP3]
	writeable = yes
	path = /mnt/usb
I can't work this out at all. Why would it be writable before a Samba update and non writable afterwards? My Samba.conf clearly shows that it should be writable.

Where else possibly could a permissions issue like this come from? My Fstab file has not been altered either - and all the other directories mentioned above remain fully writable.

It just seems more than a tad odd.

Any help or advice anyone can offer would therefore be very much apreciated.

Thanks!
dopey
Novice

Post by dopey »

You need to make sure that the user that you are logging in as with Samba also has write permissions to the drive. The vfat filesystem defaults so that only root can write to it unless you specifically tell it otherwise when you mount it. Try logging in as that user directly in the xbox and see if you have write permissions.

To change the perimssions you can either use the uid=username or umask options when you mount it.
raid517
Novice

Post by raid517 »

Hi it turned out not to be a Samba error, but a local file sytem error on my MP3 player. Doing a dskchk /F seemed to fix it.

The drive was being mounted as read only because Linux flagged it as being 'dirty'.