Slow.... terribly slow!

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
[D]J

Slow.... terribly slow!

Post by [D]J »

Hi, I was able to successfully install Gentoox on my Xbox, installation went ok and when I was asked to choose between XFCE and KDE I chosed to use XFCE as I heard on these Forums that KDE is unusable with a 64megs Xbox (and I can't mod my console with 128mb, not anytime soon).

Ok, let me get this straight, I installed Gentoox with one purpose only in my mind: let my sister and family surf the Net, check e-mail, go to IRC, ecc. while my main PC is busy because I'm working with it. I understand that the reason of poor performance is RAM but I'd like to know if there is anything that I can do to get better speed. As I said, all I need to do is set up an "Internet machine", a client to surf the Net with Mozilla, check e-mails and possibly also use some instant messaging software. As it is, the system is useless, I had to wait 3 minutes just to launch Mozilla!! :(

During the first boot when I was asked if I wanted to activate some services (Samba, ecc), I said "YES" and I'm pretty sure that's eating some resources so I'd like to remove them. I'm not a Linux expert, this is my first Linux installation ever, could anyone please tell me how to stop all the not needed services (not needed for what I need to do of course!) and don't let them load again on start?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me any tips on how optimize performances! But please, if you can help, do it step by step as I'm really new to this and I need a very basic explanation to sort this.

P.S. By the way I just had to shutdown my xbox manually as I couldn't even move mouse anymore! I waited something like 30 minutes before doing so but everything was jerky and slooooooow so I rebooted the xbox manually and run Gentoox again :( I think I have too many resources running on my system...
StickyIckyBud
Novice

*BUMP*

Post by StickyIckyBud »

I think this is a really good sentiment - I am determined to kick back on the couch flipping between the TV and my web browser, I'm planning on installing fluxbox and anything else that can trim it down.

Mozzilla is slower... than I would like.

Isn't this thing a P733 with 64MB of RAM??? i remember surfing the web in '98 on a machine only a little slower than this and it wasn't THAT bad... Is there like a Win98 version of linux ;)

Any other browsers anyone would like to suggest? and don't say lynx....
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Post by sevenlayercookie »

OK, if your going JUST for internet browsing, I'd consider the X-DSL distro of linux. It's very small (50 mb) so it's also very fast. Boots in like 10 secs, and the rest runs great! Not as many features as gentoox, but its still good for web browsing. Only problem, you have to mess around with making it backup your mozilla folder to keep homepage and bookmarks, etc.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Reading the instructions on screen before blindly answering questions is always useful. It tells you how you can later disable these services. Anyway

rc-update del samba default
rc-update del proftpd default
rc-update del webmin default

Next time you reboot, these wont be started.

(Yes, I realise this post is over a year old!)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

Hehe, try 2 mate... I think he's moved on, but for the sake of others.
gnif
Novice

Post by gnif »

also for the sake of others... loopback installs are slow... just run top to see how much processor time is devoted to the loopback process.