How to mount a USB harddisk/media player in Gentoox?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
raid517
Novice

How to mount a USB harddisk/media player in Gentoox?

Post by raid517 »

Hi I know the USB on the Xbox is only 1.1 - but that is still sufficient for my needs.

You see what I want to do is mount my 100GB fat32 formatted MP3 player in Gentoox and then use my laptop and a wireless network adapter to send files to it. So far I have the networking set up perfectly, I can connect and transfer files to and from the Xbox without problems - but for whatever reason that I can't fathom Gentoox refuses to 'see' or recognize it as a disk

To be clear my Mp3 player is an Archos AV7100 - which shows up as a disk drive automatically in Windows - and also in Ubuntu and Kanotix.

I suspect that this may have something to do with drivers - and that perhaps I need to load some kind of mass storage drivers and maybe edit my fstab file in some way in order to get the disk to be recognized by the system but I have no idea how to go about doing this.

Bare in mind that I have a standard Xbox partition table (although I have upgraded the hard drive) and that I am running Gentoox via a loopback file system from my E: partition and that my MP3 player is formatted in fat32. I would very much full read, write and execute permissions on this dive - so any advice on how to achieve this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

I dont remember if gentoox has SCSI disk support built into the kernel or if you will need to recompile it. Afaik there is a post that says how to get flash drives/usb hdd's working

[edit]
search for: sda
..on the forums and you will find some results to your question
raid517
Novice

Post by raid517 »

Thanks man that was really helpful. I followed the advice here:
modprobe usb-storage
modprobe scsi_mod
modprobe ide-scsi
modprobe sg
modprobe sr_mod
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
And that worked brilliantly.

I still have a few questions left though. Firstly how do I make sure that these modules load when Gentoox starts - I am used to the Debian way of doing things and am really not familiar with the Gentoo way of doing things at all? Second what would be the appropriate fstab entries to ensure that this FAT32 device gets loaded with zero resrictions when Xbox Linux fully starts up? Lastly how do I go about adding my MP3 player to my SAMBA config - again with zero, or minimal restrictions if possible? I'm afraid I have never really taken a stab at configuring SAMBA before - and since Gentoox already came with a preconfigured samba server, I have never really previously had to.

In any case my goal of enabling my Xbox as an access point where I can wirelessly send files to my MP3 player from my laptop from anywhere in my home is a little nearer - which on a geek scale of neatness is pretty damn cool! (And it means all of those guys who said you couldn't do anything particularly neat or useful with Xbox Linux were completely wrong). I could of course achieve the same goal by connect wirelessly to my big old monolythic PC - but again it is a matter of noise and convienience - and it is just so much more convienient to use the Xbox to achieve this goal instead.

Any hints or tips anyone can offer in helping me to achieve these final steps would be very much appreciated.

GJ
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

simply add the modules to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 and they should load every boot

usb-storage
scsi_mod
ide-scsi
sg
sr_mod