Bad Filesystem?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

Was starting to think I was a numpty till I checked these forums,

I`m having the same problem with Home 6.0a on a stock 10GB,

Hope It gets fixed cos I miss my gentoox & am having to use my pc alot more again now.

P.S. Shallax : - this is the one area that I cannot test as I do not have a hard drive with sufficient capacity for a native installation!

Have you not tried cheesyboofs Tut - only takes about 20 mins & you can use a stock 10GB hdd

bLiGhTy.
2x xbox v1.0 gentoox home native
2x stock 10GB`s (both built for free :D )

Thanks 2 cheesyboofs, Steinar T & of course ShALLaX.

Falcon; jtag, xbr, 160gb hdd
GeniuX
Novice

Post by GeniuX »

Linuxboot.cfg:

Code: Select all

title Gentoox
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
initrd no
append init=/linuxrc root=/dev/hda2 kbd-reset video=xbox:640x480,nohwcursor,hoc=13,voc=13
title Sparkle
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/sprkrd.gz
append load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=26215 rw root=/dev/hda2 kbd-reset
Also the fstab while I'm at it:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system>         <mount point>   <type>          <options>                               <dump>  <pass>
/dev/hda1               none            swap            sw                                      0       0
/dev/hda2               /               reiserfs        defaults,errors=remount-ro              0       1
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                                0       0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         defaults,ro,user,noauto                 0       0
I'll download the initrd.gz and test is right away ;)
Drink a cup of cofee, help some n00bs, fix broken windows's, IT's a bitch huh :D
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Ahh, so its your fault.

/dev/hda2               /               reiserfs        defaults,errors=remount-ro
That is wrong. Reiserfs does NOT support errors=remount-ro. Change it to "notail".

/dev/hda2               /               reiserfs        notail
Could people clarify this for me? Did YOU add the /dev/hda2 line... or was it something the installation script did? If its something you added.. then it's not a bug with Gentoox at all (more a bug with the tutorial you followed), and the whole Pro v4.0b release was pointless :\
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
GeniuX
Novice

Post by GeniuX »

It came from cheesyboofs tutorial :P:P
Then edit the fstab on the new drive;
# vi /mnt/hda2/etc/fstab
/dev/hda1 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
Proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
It wasn't me... realy 8)
Drink a cup of cofee, help some n00bs, fix broken windows's, IT's a bitch huh :D
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heh.. so all this has been a wild goose-chase "find the non-existant bug" for me.

Oh well... that line I gave you should fix it... let me know.
GeniuX
Novice

Post by GeniuX »

Another thing...
I have 2 HDD's (10GB and 120GB)
I have Gentoox on the 10GB as a master HDD (slave modus; it won't boot), but the drive I'm adding doesn't support slave modus :(
But if I'm switching the drives (10GB Slave, 120GB Master) the bios doesn't see the Native install :(:(
Is it possible to put a 'linuxboot.cfg' on the 120GB HDD and point it to the bootfiles on the 10GB HDD???

:edit: Never mind.. I've messed around with the juper settings and it works, I'm now editting the fstab 8)
Do you still want me to test the initrd.gz?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

No, you're not even using the initrd. You can delete it and your installation will still work.
GeniuX
Novice

Post by GeniuX »

The outcome of the 'notail edit' says "The filesystem IS clean" in stead of "The filesystem is NOT clean"
Thanx for the help (now cheesyboofs needs to fix the tutorial 8) )
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

ShALLaX wrote:
Could people clarify this for me? Did YOU add the /dev/hda2 line... or was it something the installation script did? If its something you added.. then it's not a bug with Gentoox at all (more a bug with the tutorial you followed), and the whole Pro v4.0b release was pointless :\
I was wondering about that too, Mine doesn`t have the dvd drive line, I don`t use the dvd drive either.

Sorry to hear about your premature release ;)

Edited this afternoon :D Works like a charm on home 6.0a as well. Nice one :wink:

bLiGhTy.
2x xbox v1.0 gentoox home native
2x stock 10GB`s (both built for free :D )

Thanks 2 cheesyboofs, Steinar T & of course ShALLaX.

Falcon; jtag, xbr, 160gb hdd
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

:oops: in my defence the bug didn't show up till shallax fixed it to notice the bug! Nice one guy's all round.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

;)