loader problem with 6.0a? help plz...

Post information here about bugs - please remember to provide an accurate and detailed description and, if possible, steps on how to replicate the issue.
paultman

loader problem with 6.0a? help plz...

Post by paultman »

This has been discussed a bit and i think resolved, though I think the fix fell out of the later builds.

The topic (also listed in this Bugs area from almost a year ago, and many other places) is related to trying to boot a non-native install and the xbox suddenly powering down.

I remember this working for me sometime in the past (like version 4 or 5 maybe?) but now it's not working.
Here's what I'ved tried:

works| start linux from

No | softmod/font exploit
No | x2 5035/evox (no igr) menu
No | x2 5035/unleashed file browser
No | x2 4983/evox (no igr) menu
No | x2 4983/unleashed file browser
No | M8+/unleashed file browser
Yes| cromwell
Yes| gentoox cd

Ok, when I say "No" the behavior after selecting the gentooxx.xbe is the screen flickers, I see a horizonal red line, then no video, then xbox led flashes orange, then power down.

My xbox is a 1.0 version, yes I know Shallax said this was some kinda known problem, but it's worked before and he did say he thought it was fixed later.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I've typed Avocado in so many times I wanna pull all my hair out and through the xbox out of the window! lol

-Paul

P.S. I've tried this with home 6.0a via non-native e: install from cd, as well as ftping from my pc.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yeah, theres a bug with Xbox v1.0s - it might also have something to do with the video cables being used... I dont have one of these (or even a v1.1), so I can't debug it myself. This bug has been around for a _long_ time and I don't think it was ever fixed (intentionally). Sorry :(

When you say "cromwell" works, does it work in all the scenarios where Gentoox Loader doesnt? I recently sync'ed Gentoox Loader with Cromwell, so there shouldn't be a reason for one to be acting differently.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
paultman

Post by paultman »

Yeah, well, it sux. It seems like it's freezing and it's like even the fan stops running then due to heat it just shuts down. I donno.

Anyway, my whole point was to run softmod to i could create a g: native install with custom size (since I have only a 40gig hd, it's a 2.5").
So I followed the instructions here:
viewtopic.php?t=2630
and here:
viewtopic.php?p=9614

and i tried the softmod->default.xbe->evoxdash.xbe->gentoox cd to boot fatx
once there I tried running those scripts (from the above post)

Xbox tmp # ./make.partition.sh
(1/5) Zeroing partition table ...
(2/5) Creating swap partition as /dev/hda1 ...
(3/5) Creating root partition as /dev/hda2 ...
(4/5) Initialize swap partition ...
An error occurred, halting
[Error making swap]

and I get that error, i then check:
Xbox tmp # df -k
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop/0 4095868 3224532 871336 79% /
df: `/newroot': No such file or directory
/dev/hda50 4998768 4368400 630368 88% /mnt/fatx/e
/dev/hda55 31245888 0 31245888 0% /mnt/fatx/f

I'm hoping the scripts would split up that f space to f/g and I put all the settings in the scripts to do this properly.

BUT that error, do u think it's cause i'm not booting via the gentooxx.xbe, but rather the cd? I doublt it.
can you think of anything else that I might try?
Although i've been on this for ~2 weeks now i'm near giving up:(

lemme know,
-Paul
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Maybe you could answer my question?
paultman

Post by paultman »

well the senario is different
I guess it boils down to three:

In one case i use the cromwell bios and it works with the gentoox loader.

If i use a different bios it only works if I have the gentoox cd in, which loads the gentoox loader.

In the third bundle of cases (non-cromwell bios or softmod) where I have to run gentooxx.xbe explicitly it fails.

-Paul
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I think you're confused.

Cromwell and Gentoox Loader are mutually exclusive. You cannot use them together. Gentoox Loader is a fork of Cromwell (they are essentially the same piece of software, though Gentoox Loader has some improvements over Cromwell.)

I just need to know whether Xromwell.xbe works with a softmod where Loader.xbe doesnt.