Boot sequence error

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Orophin

Boot sequence error

Post by Orophin »

Hello again

Recently I updated my pro 2.0 with magic and it told me that this version could not be compatible with something (sorry I can't now remember if it was magic, emerge, portage or something completely different). The matter is that during start up sequence the system fails checking the root partition.

Here is the message:

Code: Select all

Partition /dev/hda2 is mounted with write permissions, cannot check it
after that if I enter my root password and run fsck it tells me there are no errors with the filesystem, so the problem is just with he boot script.

How can I repair this? The installation is native, with no loop back.

And by the way, whats is the most recomendable way to update from a x.0 to a x+1.0 version of Gentoox? I want to update from 2.0 to 4.0 and boot loader too, but don't know how.

Thanks for your help

edit: Partition is reiserfs
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

it seems like it wants to check the filesystem on /dev/hda2 but it is mounted read/write. Run sparkle and let it fix the filesystem for you
Orophin

Post by Orophin »

Ok, I tried Sparkle and found no problems on the filesystem. In my opinion the problems is due to the boot script sequence.

1. mount read/write
2. check fs (here comes the error)

and it should be something like this.

1. mount read-only
2. check filesystem
3. umount
4. mount read/write

But I don't know where I can change that. Any idea? Perhaps the fstab?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

the following

1. mount read-only
2. check filesystem
3. umount
4. mount read/write

would result in long bootup times, and i wont be near my box for some time so im not sure as to a suggestion for you :(
Orophin

Post by Orophin »

long bootup times are not a problem, I rearely switch it off. Anyway thanks for your help.

I'll try to find it in gentoo forums