30 seconds to open firefox - is that normal?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
hudson

30 seconds to open firefox - is that normal?

Post by hudson »

Every time I open firefox it takes at least 30 seconds. Is that normal for the home edition running xfce? My home page is about:blank and I have no extensions. I have a softmod with original hard drive. My cpu rarely goes to 100% and ram is always less than half. The only thing I can think of is that either the original hard drive is slowing things down, or I didn't instal properly, or need to drink more coffee to stay awake while using Gentoox . :shock:
zlasher
Adept

Post by zlasher »

It's not abnormal to use up to 30 sec. to open firefox..

Keep in mind the Xbox has 64Mb of ram - no matter how much it frees up, it will never be enough.

Compared to other 733Mhz systems it's not really slow..

And yes - you are correct - the disk is very very slow.

installing native would speed things up - and yes, you can run a graphics UI with native too - but this will slow the box up compared to a text-only UI.

Steinar T
Xbox v1.1, Xtender, Xecuter 3CE
Gentoox Pro 4.1 native
http://xboxlinux.mine.nu
ximmortalx
Linux User

Post by ximmortalx »

i leanred to just use my x-dsl live cd when i want to use firefox, its alot faster (not slamming gentoox, i love gentoox way more than dsl) I dont know why its faster, but it just is on dsl. You could try that....and nice thing about dsl is it can be ran on live cd, so u can just pop in the disc when u wanna browse
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

If you're using Home 5.0 performance is horrible, Gentoox has been better in the past. ShallaX is fixing this for the next release.
If this is your first day and you're making your first post, you haven't spent enough time reading.

We were all noobs, once.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

ReiserFS with notail is still pretty slow (ack)... but I dont think its as bad as Ext3.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

Well as long as it's better than the last release, I can't even use it. But thanks for the heads up.
If this is your first day and you're making your first post, you haven't spent enough time reading.

We were all noobs, once.