Need help EVERYWHERE!!!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
meatball

Need help EVERYWHERE!!!

Post by meatball »

Hi

I'm quite new to all this, so please be patient. While I consider myself to have a good bit of knowledge about computers, some things still baffle me, like; ISOs, Kernals,etc, etc.

I have a xBox v1.4 and I'm using a Xecuter 2.6 modchip.

Anyway I'm finding it hard to get Linux up and running on my computer. I've read the FAQs and the Tutorials and I'm still confused by it. So your help would be greatly appreciated. So could you please answer the following question as simply as possible, thank you.

1 - What BIOS do I need to install Linux? My current BIOS screen looks like this:

But browsing the internet, I'm guessing I should have a different screen with a DVD icon on the right hand side. I've downloaded Gentoox Home from here and have extracted the file, but I still can't located the bios. So where is this BIOS?

2 - After I extract the file, what is the name of the files that I have to burn to my CD to install Linux? I'm asking this now because I don't want to come back later and annoy you with more question and more needless threads.

3 - What the hell is an ISO and Kernal? Just out of curiosity.

After you answer these question I think I can take it on my from from there. And if you reading this last sentence I thank you for taking the time to read this.

Cheers ears!
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

1. You are using a Xecuter 2.6 modchip, but what are you using your xbox now for. You cannot have your "Flashbios screen" come up if you have completed your mod install. If you havent finished that, you would have to go to xbox-scene.

2. You dont have to ask these questions, its all there in the FAQ, tutorial, manuals. And also a search on the forums will get you a lot of already answered threads

3. Google ISOs, Kernals

question: what do you intend to do with your xbox. run just gentoox, or use it for games and gentoox, or use for games and gentoox mce.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
meatball

Post by meatball »

when I go into bank 2, thats what comes up on screen. If I go into bank one the xbox logo come up and the Xecuter logo appears underneath. Where would I go from here to install Linux?

I have read the FAQs and still can't figure out where to go with this, apparently I'm meant to install a 640x480.bin, but where do I download this? I can't find it in any of the files that I extracted.

I intend to use my xBox only for gentoox.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

If you go into bank one the xbox logo come up and the Xecuter logo. Then what happens.

You still havent answered my question.
meatball

Post by meatball »

vplayer wrote:If you go into bank one the xbox logo come up and the Xecuter logo. Then what happens
I go straight to the xbox dashboard. when I put the CD witht he stardust file into the xbox, an error message comes up saying saying that it cant recognise the CD/DVD

vplayer wrote:You still havent answered my question.
meatball wrote: I intend to use my xBox only for gentoox.
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Post by sevenlayercookie »

1. The BIOS depends on exactly what you want to use your xbox for. If you want to use JUST Gentoox (no games, emulators, etc.) then use the Gentoox BIOS and install Gentoox native.

2. Burn the .ISO file to a CD. Look around in your burning software for something like "Burn ISO image to disc".

3. An ISO is an exact copy of a CD, used for burning, backup, etc.
A kernel is the part of the operating system that controls the hardware, giving access to the hardware for the programs.
meatball

Post by meatball »

thank you

where do I locate the Gentoox BIOS file? Is this the BIOS that will bring up the blue screen with the DVD logo on in? Or have I already downloaded it with Gentoox Home Edition, if so:

Where is this file? Is it in C:Gentoox.ShALLaX.Home-Edition-v4.0\BIOS?
Whats is called? Is ti called Loader?
And I'm presuming its a .BIN filetype, am I right?

Cheers.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

you are right. Its the bin file.

If you intend to use the xBox only for gentoox, are you planning to do a native install. That would give you an edge on performance. Look it up. There is a very nice "HOWTO" by cheesyboofs.

hope that helps,
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

loader.bin

check the downloads section, theres a download just for it
meatball

Post by meatball »

thanks guys, appreciate the help.
kaos_engr
Novice

Post by kaos_engr »

Flashbios 3.0.3 should boot linux after you burn the iso image to media readable by your xbox.

Flashbios is a Cromwell Clean (M$ free code) Linux Bios and includes routines to reflash the bios to get a hacked version installed (but for Linux you don't need a hacked M$ BIOS). You could update from FlashBIOS to Shallax's Gentoox Loader (A BIOS based on Cromwell modded by Shallax to add additional features).

To reflash, you'd burn the loader.bin file in the Gentoox BIOS subdir to cdrw media but renamed to bios.bin and resized to the modchip's banksize. Depends on the modchip you are using what size banks it supports. 512k works for the Xecuter 2.6 modchip. Other modchips may use 256k, 512k or 1024k depending upon the chips capabilities.

DOS command line to resize to 512k:

copy /b loader.bin+loader.bin >bios.bin

Burn this bios.bin file just as you would a pc data disk. Add that file by itself to the root dir on the cd you create.

=========================
Which Media to burn the stardust.iso File?

The media your xbox can read depends largely on the DVD drive.

Thomson reads cd-rw, dvd-r, and dvd-rw.
Philips reads cd-rw, dvd-r, dvd-rw and some cd-r.
Samsung should read most cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-r, and dvd-rw.

I'd use cd-rw just to be on the safe side. Burn at slowest speed possible unless it is in fact a Samsung drive.

Gentoox ISO fits on a cd-rw or cd-r disk you don't need dvd media

Nero 5 use File -> Burn Image
Nero 6 use Recorder -> Burn Image

With either version of Nero, select the stardust.iso file, select Disk-at-Once (DAO), check the finalize disk box then burn.

Power on the xbox and insert the disk. It should boot Gentoox. If not leave the disk in drive and power cycle (turn off and back on). If it recognizes the disk, it should boot if not it'll fallthru to the reflash bios routine.

For Gentoox Linux use only do a "Native Install".
Follow the on-screen menus as they appear to install Gentoox to the HDD.

--
kaos_engr