[Solved] Emerge, emerge sync, magic

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
sevenlayercookie
Novice

[Solved] Emerge, emerge sync, magic

Post by sevenlayercookie »

ok, ive been tryin to fix this for like a month. Im tryin to update xbox and get new programs. I have Gentoox Home 4.0.

Im tryin to get a program thru emerge, so i type "emerge whatever" and i get somethin like "ARCH is not set..." and something about portage.

So I ran "emerge portage" but same error.
Is there any difference between "emerge --sync" and "emerge sync"?.

Well anyway, i ran "emerge sync" and when it finishes getting list of files, it downloads a few files, then sits there for a while and timesout.

I did "mirrorselect -i" and "mirrorselect -ri" and changed the mirrors, but same error. Same thing happens with magic.

I have no firewall and no router or anything like that. I read somewhere about dling a portage snapshot somewhere, any idea where to find one?

oh ya, i set my time, but im not sure if its the same as the server, if that matters.
Thanks
Last edited by sevenlayercookie on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yesplease

Post by yesplease »

If you need a portage snapshot, go here and dl a compressed portage snapshot into /usr/portage (assuming everything's in the same place as a default gentoo install, which it may not be). Unpack it in that directory, and you should be set.
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Ok, i'll try that. I think its probably the same as gentoo, so sounds good. Thanks for the help!
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Ok, dled "gentoo-portagelatest" and extracted iit to "/usr/portage/" (by the way, i only had 2 folders in there". I ran "emerge portage", and it did a little bit more, but then i got "ARCH is not set..." again. :( . I tred magic agin, and same timouts... And oh ya, i found out my time was NOT set, but i fixed that. Any more ideas? thanks
yesplease

Post by yesplease »

Problem: Arch is not set...
Solution
1.You must have a full portage tree, if not type: emerge --sync or download a portage snapshot.
2.Look at which version of gentoo you have 2004.3? 2005.1?
3.Link a profile to /etc/make.profile. Do this by typing the command "ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/$VERSION/ /etc/make.profile" , where $VERSION equals your version of gentoo. (2004.3, 2005.1, etc) If the "/usr...../$VERSION/" directory does not exist, you do not have a full portage tree.
Maybe emerge --sync again, or try 3?
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Ok, my make.profile is already linked to 2005.0/2.4, so i dont think that is the problem. I did some research, and most ppl said they had exact same problem, and the did an "emerge sync" to fix it. I think thats where my problem is. I just need to figure out this timeout deal... The thing is, its not consistently timing out, it does it at random places, sometimes right at beginning of downloads, sometimes 3/4 thru. Ive tried emerge sync about 20 times :\ , on 2 diff servers, so i dont think nething is wrong serverwise Im hooked straight to a DSL modem, no firewall. Mebbe i can do some DMZ thing for my xbox. Thanks for the help so far..
prav

Post by prav »

Check your link (/etc/make.profile) ... Mine also pointed to /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0/2.4 however, the 2.4 directory does not exist. Delete the link and create a new one but this time without /2.4 on the end:

# ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0/ /etc/make.profile

This solved the problem for me. Hope it helps u!
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Sweet man! Thanks a lot! That fixed it :D . i ran

Code: Select all

unlink /etc/make.profile
then

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0/ /etc/make.profile 

And Im good to go! Thanks again