Magic Update

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
DCM

Magic Update

Post by DCM »

About how long does it take to do a full update with magic on a fresh install? Yesterday I tried it and after two hours I got tried of it and shut down the xbox.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

What type of install do you have? I've only ever run Native installs and it never takes very long but from what I gather if you do it the 'other' way it can take quite a while. All I would suggest is that you make sure you install the latest version prior to running Magic.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
DCM

Post by DCM »

well everything doesn't go to slow until it starts compling the updated kernal..is there any ways to skip these but update everything else?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

why would you want to skip anything, magic is a sequental patching system, just run magic and go to bed. Ive done a emerge -u world (just before Pro 2.0 came out and it took quite a few days to update all the packages that were old)
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

F.Y.I, I just run magic on a fresh Native install and the kernal update took about an hour.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
DCM

Post by DCM »

ok..i guess i might just go out and buy me a bigger hd, since im not the very patient type.. and if anybody has done a magic update on a gamesave/loopback fresh install, could they post about how long it took.

thanks