Running 2 hard drives!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
brucett
Novice

Running 2 hard drives!

Post by brucett »

I currently have linux pro running on my xbox with a 200gb hard drive inside and is used just as a Samba server. I am currently running out of space and want to install another hard drive in the xbox in replacement for the dvd drive, there are a couple of questions i need to ask though.

a) What setting do you need the drive on (slave)
b) Does the current drive need to be formatted or anything or can this be left alone which is what i would prefer.
c) Is there a tut anywhere explaining how to do this as i am not exactly a pro at linux.

thanks in advance!
lidback
Linux User

Post by lidback »

i`m running 2 X 400 gigabytes hdd on gentoox with no problem.
just replace the dvd-rom with your other harddrive, and set the drive to slave.
then boot up gentoox run "fdisk -l" to check that all is working (you will se the other disk there). then just format it to linux partition and voila
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I've never tried this myself, but I've heard of issues with power supply capability (ie. not enough power to supply two HDD).

Also, is there no issues with the other signals not handled by the drive (ie. DVD tray closed, eject, etc)?
lidback
Linux User

Post by lidback »

you need to buy an y-splitter power cable to connect 2 harddrives... it cost about 30 SEK (swedish kronors) its about 4 dollars in a computer store. then it is good to go.
i have never had any problems with my box or hdd when i am running 2 disks instead of a disk and one dvd-rom.
the thing you heard about not anough power for 2 drives i think is a lie. just saying from my experience and my discs is running fine and never any problem with power supplie
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Maybe it depends on what drives you used or what version of xbox you have. Maybe they beefed up the PS in the newer models or something. Nice, though, I might consider doing the same with mine. I need more storage and I don't think I've used the DVD drive once since installation. Can always swap it back out if needed, too I guess. Or just leave the HDD in an external case.
lidback
Linux User

Post by lidback »

i do 2 discs in my xbox version 1.6+ and have done that on my older box too... don know what model that is, but a really old one :). Now i`m just waiting for the xbox360 and shallax to make a dist on xbox 360 that works fine :=)
brucett
Novice

Post by brucett »

lidback wrote:i`m running 2 X 400 gigabytes hdd on gentoox with no problem.
just replace the dvd-rom with your other harddrive, and set the drive to slave.
then boot up gentoox run "fdisk -l" to check that all is working (you will se the other disk there). then just format it to linux partition and voila
Is it really just that simple, and then how i would i add it as another samba share, would i just add it using the letter that the drive is designated? thanks for the help people
lidback
Linux User

Post by lidback »

first of all you have to make it to a linux partition and then mount it to the place you want.
xbox 1.6
DuoX2 with gentoox bios
400 gigabytes x 2 harddrivers
home v4.0
loaded with: apache, php, mysql, samba, webmin