Can I automatically start Gentoox with a softmodded box?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
tschepsit

Can I automatically start Gentoox with a softmodded box?

Post by tschepsit »

Currently my box is softmodded only, I have gentoox running as I would like it to with apache, etc. Without flashing the BIOS, is there any way I can get it to load when the box boots up without starting it as an application from within another program? If I do have to start it from within another program, is anyone aware of a way to have this done automatically when that other program starts up?

I've tried searching here and at the sites for other launcher programs without success.
stevie
Novice

Post by stevie »

Hi tschepsit

I think there are at least do different ways to manage this ( I 've tried none of them )
- install a bios loader
- define gentoox.xbe as your default dashboard (maybe a little dangerous for a softmoded box )

With EVO.. I once installed XBMC as dash.

Details can be found at http://www.xbox-scene.com/

Stevie.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Installing a bios loader and having gentoox.xbe as your default dashboard both involve flashing your bios, which he's asked not to do.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any way to do what you're asking without putting in a modchip or flashing your bios =/
sabriel

Post by sabriel »

I usually just leave the gentoox cd in the drive and it boots right into linux for me.
yak

Maybe?

Post by yak »

My BIOS runs its .xbe by name. So I just move the current .xbe on C:\ to a different filename and replace it with the new dash .xbe file. Over FTP, this goes something like:

Code: Select all

rename current.xbe old.xbe
rename loader.xbe current.xbe
:!: WARNING: If this doesn't go well, the box might not boot up! :!:

If you use Avalaunch, you could also set it up to run the loader when you hold the trigger down (e.g. <righttrigger /> configuration tag, see Avalaunch manual). A rubberband around the trigger, and you've got your toasternet auto-boot. :)