xbox performance levels

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
nerrad

xbox performance levels

Post by nerrad »

Hi People,

This question is really aimed at shallax himself (assuming of course that all on this domain is run from that cluster of xbox's in the pics) or another user who has their site running live from their xbox.

I have installed the Gentoox Pro (no GUI etc) on my box with Apache, mysql, php, webmin, proftpd and most likely a whole more bunch of stuff but i can not think of from the top of me head atm. Anyway it appears to be running ok without no lag etc, but i want to compile yet more such as bind and maybe more depending on my needs.

So my question is how would my xbox fare under the strain of say no more then 10 - 15 users at anyone time with all the stated resources compiled and running.

Would it be a better idea to put say bind and mysql on a different local server? Is this what you have done Shallax and if so would you mind sharing with us what setup that you have as well as the amount of traffic you receive? Because if indeed you are hosting the entire contents of this site your self i have never noticed any considerable lag.

And one more thing is the cooling etc adequate in the xbox to leave on 24/7 365 days a year?

Thanks for the help
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

The cooling was designed for gaming (which takes a lot more out of the xbox than hosting a website or two) and by some people who will probably do it 24/7, so there should be no problems for you running it that long. I replaced the fan in mine with a vantec stealth (not as much air flow, but it's silent cuz it's in my bedroom =) and it still runs fine 24/7 and I've left compiling for the better part of a day here and there and I've had no problems with overheating.

As for the lag with higher user load, I'm not sure, as I only use it for myself.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

I would imagine any lag due to amount of users would be due to the limited memory of the Xbox (64Mb) I would recommend you do a ‘Fully’ native install with a proper swap partition if you intend to use an Xbox as a server. A 256Mb swap partition is fine; some people set it at 1Gb naively thinking this will give them an extra 1Gb of ram.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
nerrad

Post by nerrad »

Thanks for the suggestions people, I took your advice cheesyboofs and did a fully native install and gave it a larger swap partition, i am also considering an upgrade to the fan and heatsink? if possible, provided that it would actually make a difference... As for the putting different deamons onto different boxes i will see how things go over the next week or two then report back

Thanks again
<b>~nerrad/</b>

<b>Hardware</b> ~ Xbox 1.6 - 120GB Maxtor - Xecuter 3 CE - Crystal Case - X3CP - XLCD - Dual Boot Bios

<b>Software</b> ~ EvoX - XBMC - Gentoox Pro 2.0a -Apache2 - PHP - MySQL - phpMyAdmin
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Upgrading the fan and heatsink will probably make the xbox happier, but you won't see any performance differences. If you want an upgrade that'll make a difference, put another 64MB of RAM into it (assuming it's not a 1.6). That should help lots with server load.