Updating portage

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
FlamingGooch
Novice

Updating portage

Post by FlamingGooch »

After I run emerge sync it says that there is an update for portage and they recommend I update portage at that moment. How do I update portage? Do I just run emerge sync again?
Krazy
Adept

Post by Krazy »

FlamingGooch said:
How do I update portage?
Easy, just

Code: Select all

emerge portage
v1.1 xbox, stock HD, soft-modded [uxe+ dualboot: UnleashX/GentooX], with Pro2.0
v1.4 xbox, stock HD, Xecuter3 (X3 3294), running headless with Home 6.1
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

When I type emerge portage, I get this error message:

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.12 failed.
!!! Function econf, Line 485, Exitcode 0
!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

What happened?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

just run magic.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

See thats the thing. When I ran magic I got an error and saw that I needed to run emerge sync. So I ran that, and it said I needed to update portage. So I ran emerge portage and got that error. I'm at a loss :cry:
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

if i remember right, i think when i ran magic it updated portage. But it was a while ago and I dont remember too well.

But run magic again, say yes to emerge sync and no to xfce,kde,mplayer (or whatever). If it asks question about portage (which i dont think it would) answer yes.

If you get the error again, post what you get. Keep it on this thread so we know the history of your case. :)

update: do you have enough space.. just wondering
update2: also, the error about econf failed would be the last error, there will be an error before that.. try to find that. (could be a simple error like some file not found or something). Below is a link to a similar problem but dont try anything that you dont understand, ask here before you try it.
sample thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-37 ... econf.html
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz »

to manually update portage just do

emerge --sync

or i belive if that fails you can do a web sync like

emerge --websync

which will do a wget on a current portage version and extract it to your file system.
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

Is there a way to scroll up in the console window? If there isnt, I can't see my error message.
Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz »

if you have a keyboard and normal consoles you can do shift+pageup and it will scroll up your console.
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

I didn't get the adapter for a keyboard an mouse yet. I will hopefully be getting it soon. I'll try shift+page up with the xpad.
Krazy
Adept

Post by Krazy »

Ok a couple of things which may or may not help....

1) If you don't have a keyboard, then perhaps you could try to login via ssh, and work via a console [text based; no GUI].
Or via VNC if setup (won't be on Pro -- can't remember if you said you were using home or not)
Of course this requires some understanding of networking, which I assume you have. Do a search in the forums here for ssh, and 'putty' a PC-based ssh client if this is new to you.

2) Check that your date is set correctly.

date
Use man date to find out how to set it if its not correct. You may also need to set your timezone if you don't live in Britain.

3) "Emerge --sync" updates your portage tree (ebuilds). It doesn't update your portage executable. So you need to do both! I did for Home 4, when I reinstalled about a month ago.

Magic will most likely do the "emerge --sync" for you [it asks you whether to do this, so you should know if it has ie you said yes]
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

vplayer wrote:do you have enough space.. just wondering
When I installed it, I had 4.6 something gigs free on my E partition. I now have like 318 mb free. Is that too little space to run in?
Krazy wrote:2) Check that your date is set correctly.

date
Use man date to find out how to set it if its not correct. You may also need to set your timezone if you don't live in Britain.

3) "Emerge --sync" updates your portage tree (ebuilds). It doesn't update your portage executable. So you need to do both! I did for Home 4, when I reinstalled about a month ago.

Magic will most likely do the "emerge --sync" for you [it asks you whether to do this, so you should know if it has ie you said yes]
I will check my time settings as soon as I can. Referring to number 3, I need to do both of what? Yes, magic does run emerge sync for me. I will post up my full error message asap. I haven't been around to get on GentooX in a while.
Krazy
Adept

Post by Krazy »

FlamingGooch wrote:Referring to number 3, I need to do both of what?
Sorry, IMHO you need to "emerge --sync" and "emerge portage". However if your date is not set correctly(*), then the emerge sync may not be doing its thing?!? Even if magic did an emerge --sync for you, you can do one manually -- as long as you don't try and do 2 in the one day. There are warnings on portage's server M-O-T-D page saying they may temporarily ban you if you pester the server continually.

Of course there is always the possibility that the portage ebuild is currently broken, but given the number of Gentoo users (ie on other platforms, not just xbox), there would an awful lot of complaints to the devs.... so this is unlikely.
FlamingGooch wrote:When I installed it, I had 4.6 something gigs free on my E partition. I now have like 318 mb free. Is that too little space to run in?
No, you should be good, and BTW, vplayer would be talking about the free space inside the linux filesystem. The whole filesystem is represented by the fatx file E:\rootfs, and this file won't grow/shrink in size.

You can't check free space from the filesystem perspective from a dashboard. Once Linux is running, type

df -k
the results are in 1K blocks free. Look at the capacity heading (percentage). 100% would mean your filesystem is full. My guess if you haven't installed anything in Linux yet, then you would have enough free.

Be aware that 'emerge --sync' creates the portage tree for you (its empty on a fresh Gentoox install), and this requires hundreds of megabytes of free filesystem space. But like I said, this shouldn't be an issue for you, I've still got hundreds left, and I've updated my portage tree, and installed a number of apps.

Finally, if you need a more permanent solution to setting the clock so that it gets setup again when you restart your xbox(#) after its been off for a while, then you need a ntp-client. I used "ntp" (emerge ntp). Search the forums for "clock" (or "ntp") to see how to set it up.

Of course, this assumes you have a functioning portage system :)

(*) to fix date for now, look at man page ie. "man date".
(#) Xbox does not have a battery backup for the clock, unlike PCs etc
Krazy
Adept

Post by Krazy »

Oh, and another thing... just re-reading over all the posts you say magic was giving you an error.
This may point to the root cause of your problem. What was it?

Important if you have a firewall: magic uses tcp port 2000.
StickyIckyBud
Novice

I fixed this the other day

Post by StickyIckyBud »

check out MY portage woe's

the only thing I can add is my symlink make.profile was not set correctly....

viewtopic.php?t=3461