Voice chat for linux...

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
mbroadhead

Voice chat for linux...

Post by mbroadhead »

Ok I need to find a good voice chat program for linux that also is available for windows. Any ideas? I have linux but my girlfriend has windows. We used to use yahoo messenger but I switched to linux and now I can't. So what are some voice chat programs out there for linux+windows?
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

Skype.
mbroadhead

Post by mbroadhead »

cool thanks. i have installed it but haven't tried it yet. It looks promising
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

http://www.ventrilo.com/

you can host both the server and client on either the windows box or the linux box
mbroadhead

Post by mbroadhead »

yes but the linux version of Ventrilo (client) is still in developement, they don't let you download source code or binaries....no use to me
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

I have ventrilo server running on my xbox. Its an older version though, from the time it still was free - 2.1.x.
However, skype is far better for normal 1on1 chat. Ventrilo is mostly used for gaming and many users.
mbroadhead

Post by mbroadhead »

thanks for the info. I tried skype but there is a lot of interference in the background, like a big buzzing noise....too annoying to carry on a conversation.
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

Sounds like hardware or driver problems to me. I've used Skype on both Windows and Gentoo (not on Xbox though) for a long time and I find the sound quality to be excellent with minimum delay.
However, whatever works for you - use it!
mbroadhead

Post by mbroadhead »

ya, I need to recompile my kernel and add ALSA support. I am just running OSS right now and I don't have a software mixer so only one program works at a time w/ sound right now! LOL