128MB RAM Upgrade

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Telek
Linux User

Post by Telek »

I forgot to add that with a native install and 128MB Gentoox is like 5x faster than loopback on fatx with 64MB.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Just put my 64MB in. For anyone doin it, read the fine print somewhere that says you need a magnifying glass to do this job. I have 20/15 vision and a degree in computer engineering and I got an unworking xbox the first time I powered it on =)

I took it in to work and put it under the microscope and there was a tiny piece of soldering wick that had broken off and got behind a couple of the pins. Works now though, and I'm with Neisius, I still wouldn't pay someone else $60 to do it, you'd miss all the fun =)

If anyone else is thinking of it, get em from appleguru at x-s. He shipped em the day I ordered them and they were the cheapest I found and in perfect shape.
souteneur3190
Novice

I want one too

Post by souteneur3190 »

I also want one really bad, I wouldnt mind paying $60 (Id pay $120 for someone to pick it up) for someone to do it for me, but im some what petrified of shipping my xbox. All the modders I know are in North Jersey, Newark area and Im about 10mins from Philly, and i know i have NO soldering experience what so ever. Anyone live in Philly? I cant find any guys on xbox scene.
Xecuter 2
160gig HD
Unleash X, EVox
Gentoox Home 4.0
USB ports
Telek
Linux User

Post by Telek »

If you take apart the xbox and remove the motherboard you can ship it pretty easily without fear of breaking anything. Just securely wrap it in a static bag and some bubble wrap and you're good to go.
dementio

Post by dementio »

OK, I hate to advertise, but these guys have done me right too many times. you can get the 64Mb chips for 30USD at Xbox Repair Guide
Open 7 days a week, plus weekends.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

You can also get em from appleguru on X-S for $30, but he ships for free =) He's a great guy to work with. Shipped the day I ordered and they were in perfect shape.
lumpmonkey
Linux User

what luck, got a bust one of those leadtek graphics cards...

Post by lumpmonkey »

Whats the best technique to get the ram chips off the old card?
Telek
Linux User

Post by Telek »

It's best if you have hot air soldering equiptment, but I've heard of people using a very fine wire or dental pick. You put it behind the pins, then heat up each pin individually and gently pull outward. the pin will lift up, then you move onto the next one. This is a very slow process (each chip has 100 pins), which is why the hot air soldering is a much better method.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Lots of desoldering wick first =) But, like he said, there's 100 pins, so if you aren't really strapped for the extra $30 (minus whatever you'd pay for the other card), I'd just buy the chips already removed for you.
yasuo

Post by yasuo »

hi all

sorry about my dump uestion but are you talking about the graphic card's memory or the system memory?

or is it the same?

sorry im a noob ^^
Neisius

Post by Neisius »

yasuo wrote:are you talking about the graphic card's memory or the system memory?
system memory