Installaton trouble

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
m3_del

Installaton trouble

Post by m3_del »

Iam not sure what my problem is right now.

I run sparkle, and it runs through all the steps and then flashes the bios, cleans up and waits for me to power down the system. I cycle power and get to the gentoo main screen, only options I get are to boot sparkle or load magic. I am trying to install the pro version (am downloading the home version tonight) when trying to start magic it loads the kernel fine but then errors out on me. Again I never am actually able to load gentoo as the option never is there. Any hints?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

now why would you run sparkle to install gentoox. read what you have to do in the manuals and download the correct file

Pro is Filesize: 297.66 MB
Sparkle Filesize: 67 bytes
Home is Filesize: 792.45 MB

If your downloading the Home version tonite, why are you trying to install the Pro version.

Take one step at a time.. dont rush into it. Read the FAQ, manuals and if needed watch the watchme video..
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
hawg2k

Post by hawg2k »

Since I'm having installation troubles too, I thought I'd just continue this thread. Hope that's not a problem.

I'm not exactly sure what my problem is, so I'll just detail what I've done and the symptoms I'm having, and perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

I have an older model X-box. Not sure what version, or exactly how to check, but my TSOP has been flashed with a fairly old evox BIOS, so it's a model with a flashable TSOP.

It's my understanding that I can run gentoox on the FATx drive, either E or F partitions, without the cromwell BIOS. Is that a fair assumption? I am intreaged by the Xromwell xbe concept but I can't seem to figure out where to get it, and I'm not really sure what it buys me anyway. It's my understanding that flashing the Cromwell BIOS on the TSOP makes the box useless as an xbox game console, so I'd rather not do that.

I downloaded the latest Gentoox home rar file, unrared it, and burnt the Stardust.iso to a DVD+-RW. When I boot the xbox I get a blue background with Gentoox on it and some other fine print towards the top, and the DVD drive button on the front is flashing green, orange, and red. I'm assuming this is expected; however, I never see anything that resembles an icon, and no amount of pressing any buttons on the xpad makes anything happen.

So, I followed the FTP instructions and threw the 7 files out of distro.rar onto E:, and updated evox.ini with a "gentoox" item. When I select this from the EvoX dashboard, I get that same gentoox screen with the flashing DVD drive button light, but again no icons and nothing seem to happen.

So, any ideas what the problem might be? Do I need the Cromwell BIOS or Xromwell xbe? Do I need a newer EvoX BIOS on my TSOP? Am I supposed to download someothe rar first, and do something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

take a look at watchme video in the main download section.
hawg2k

Post by hawg2k »

Yeah, I looked at that. It immediately starts out with what appears to be the xbox booting up to something gentoox. Question is what?

Then it switches and you see something that resembles a linux boot. All I can say is "yeah, I want mine to do that but it's not".

?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

whats the xbox version and what kinda tv do you have. The screen resolution and menu during startup comes from the loader which has some settings that come from linuxboot.cfg file in E drive. Check the file exists.

unplug all the controllers and see if that helps.
hawg2k

Post by hawg2k »

If I found valid information on the net, it's a 1.0 version. It was manufactured in August of 2002. The last two digits of the serial number are 02.

I'm using the RCA patch cables/composite video out. Not sure if that's what you'r asking or if you really want to know what type of TV I'm using.

Unplugging the controllers worked. It's proceeding through the install now.

Thanks for the help. I'll post back if I get stuck again.
m3_del

Post by m3_del »

Well I determined what my problem is. My HD's first few secotors are corrupt and seems to be dead. I couldn't do anything with this drive in linux or windows. Bios sees the drive but nothing past that. I got the maxtor drive testing program and she fails on all test almost immediately. :( I don't think my instalation process was incorrect. Currious as to why the install says it completed correctly.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I don't know if your HDD is dead, or if windows just can't deal with it because it's either locked, or using fatx (or another unreadable file system for windows) or both. If it's the original xbox 8gig HD, then I imagine it's both. If you've replaced it with a different one, then it might just be the file system on it. Can you see the drive with fdisk in windows?