Questions (logging, etc-updating, date, etc)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
clpalmer
Power user

Questions (logging, etc-updating, date, etc)

Post by clpalmer »

Have a few ?'s:

I recently did a decent sized emerge -uD world. Ended up with 100+ etc files to merge and everything went (so it seems) fine except for net.eth0 and net.lo. Those two files seem to have been screwed up somewhat. If I look at the new version of net.eth0, it looks like it should be net.lo (even manually sets to 127.0.0.1 as lo should do). When I look at the new version of net.lo, it's fairly elaborate and does a ton of new things like loading modules and whatnot. I'm not sure if this is a mixup and I don't really want to risk screwing up my network. Anyone recently emerged and found these differences?

Why does the majority of the log messages (shorewall is a large part of em, but many others) get logged to several different files in /var/log/messages. There's syslog, messages and kern.log (at least) that all seem to contain the same logs. Is there something configured wrong or is this just a waste of resources?

Anyone else notice that randomly after a reboot the date is completely out of whack? I've gone to some day in december in 2032, some day in january in 1992, etc. Not sure if it happens only after ungraceful reboots or what, but it's a pain in the ass =)
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

previously there was basically the same code in net.eth0 and net.lo, now they have set net.lo to contain all the code, and net.eth0 is just a symbolic link to net.lo

you should see something like:

Code: Select all

Pro ~ # ls -la /etc/conf.d/
total 159
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root   976 Jun 29 13:36 .
drwxr-xr-x  42 root root  4056 Jun 30 09:16 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     6 Jun 22 16:13 net.eth0 -> net.lo
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 24402 Jun 22 16:13 net.lo
if you dont have net.eth0 or your having problems,

you should be able to

Code: Select all

rm net.eth0
ln -s net.lo net.eth0
etc-update add net.eth0 default
and get internet access again

are you able to manually bring up the network?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I haven't even sync'd the two files yet. I wanted to make sure that it was working before I did. It's a pain in the butt to get my TV in here and connected again if I screwed up the network =)
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

if you do an etc-update properly nothing will break, im not one to talk tho, i nerfed my last install because of this