HDTV screen sizing problems

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
fishtek

HDTV screen sizing problems

Post by fishtek »

I have a 480p problem, I am unable to get any other settings to work. I believe and I know that there has to be a fix for it, however I can't seem to find it. Some other posts seem to touch the problem slightly but no real answers I can see.

I have a v1.0 xbox with the advanced AV pack (the one w/ component cables) and a panasonic 47" 16:9 ratio HDTV. Now right after installing gentoox home v3.0 I was able to have my desktop in (I guess you would call it standard TV mode) 1024x768 or 800x600 (can't remember which) and I had no overscan problems, and everything looked good, a little blurry but that is expected for a TV without using highdef. Now however after running magic and updating everything (7 hours worth), I xbvset and choose HIGH DEF, however when I choose HIGH DEF and 480P I get a good reboot however the desktop is huge (I'm assuming 'cause it is 480p which is 640x480, dialog boxes don't even fit on screen their so huge) and I am having overscan of about an inch all the way around (can't even see the clock or running progs. I have tried running xbvset and using composite or x2vga (niether of which I expected to work), and neither did work. I had to ssh in and go back to HIGH DEF 480P, since it is the only one that will work. I do have to admit the 480P picture is very sharp just huge! (sorry for the long explanation)

In addition I have tried using fbset through ssh. It is handy to try other settings with the --test option, because they update right away and you don't need to reboot, however I still can't find any good settings to get a picture that is not scrambled besides the standard 704x480. (+-2 on those values). I do admit I am not sure how to adjust the other options in fbset like the timings and flags.

Ok so here are my questions:
1)Does anyone know of any additional settings for fbset, or anywhere else that can get rid of the overscan or bump my High def up to a higher resolution. (or is 480p always 640x480 which i think it is)
2)Is there a way I can change my display back to the standard TV settings that I had right after install (before updating magic) since it let me run at 1024x768 and 800x600.
or
3)What are the chances of getting High Def 1080i support in gentoox?

I appreciate any help with this (I am very new at this but am willing to try whatever it takes), I will definately give additional info and more settings if that would help! And if I figure it out will shed some light to others...

v1.0 xbox with High Def AV Pack (component)
Panasonic 16:9 HDTV (capable of 480i, 480p, 1080i) not 720p :(

Thank you
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

just a wonder how come your 16:9 TV isn't capable of 720p I thought that was what 720p was for, 16:9 HDTV
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
fishtek

Post by fishtek »

nobspangle wrote:just a wonder how come your 16:9 TV isn't capable of 720p I thought that was what 720p was for, 16:9 HDTV
Well in NTSC anyway (and anyone please correct me if I am wrong), my understanding of HDTV is this:
--480P is what progressive scan DVD's are played in and can be 4:3 or 16:9 ratio
--720P is always 16:9 and since it doesn't have as many lines to fill every pass as 1080i, thus it gives you a higher frame rate
--1080i is always 16:9 and can't give as high a frame rate as 720p but has slightly higher quality since it is 1080 lines. (I'm sure there is a more technical explanation somehere else on the Internet)

I wonder if since the gentoox kernel only supports 480P and 720P if there is a way to get the 480P mode to go widescreen like progressive scan DVD's are played...???

My Panasonic spec sheet is here:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMAN ... 7WX49E.PDF

Thanks again for any help guys!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

DVDs are only widescreen because they are anamorphic, the resolution is the same for 16:9 and 4:3 (720x480) but with 16:9 DVDs the pixels aren't square.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
fishtek

Post by fishtek »

nobspangle wrote:DVDs are only widescreen because they are anamorphic, the resolution is the same for 16:9 and 4:3 (720x480) but with 16:9 DVDs the pixels aren't square.
Ok that makes sense....
Now anyone have any ideas on my three questions up above?
Thanx
chadh

Same problem

Post by chadh »

I have the exact same issue only I'm using a Mitsubishi 16:9 HDTV (also capable of 1080i but not 720p). Did anyone figure this one out? At first I thought the 480p resolution was limited to 640X480 but the "XBOX Video Support" doc on this site made me think otherwise:

http://gentoox.shallax.com/video.html
gijosh28

Post by gijosh28 »

maybe i am missunderstanding that sheet above, but if that is true, and I want a higher resolution, I need to go DOWN to a composite cable to be able to use 800X600 instead of 704X480. This just doesn't seem right...

I have a 53" Panasonic HDTV capable of 480p and 1080i (not 720p). When I type video at the prompt on my XBOX it says focus. And 704X480 is so intolerable, I am about to abandon this project. Anyone got any help?
eggtimer

Any more progress on XBOX 1.0 overscan HDTV issues

Post by eggtimer »

just wondering if this issue had been resolved yet, I am seeing the same thing with my xbox @ 720p.
gijosh28

Re: Any more progress on XBOX 1.0 overscan HDTV issues

Post by gijosh28 »

eggtimer wrote:just wondering if this issue had been resolved yet, I am seeing the same thing with my xbox @ 720p.
Nope
Eyedoctor2

Sounds like maybe a solution exists

Post by Eyedoctor2 »

I have been having the same problem.

Was searching the web and ran across the following post:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65372

I get the impression that this is a solution but I am too much of a newbie myself to impliment this.

Can anybody help?

Perhaps this following link may also help:

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_HDTV_HOWTO