Problem with upgrade to 2.4.22 and Pro

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
XBoxgeek
Pro

Problem with upgrade to 2.4.22 and Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

Okay I tried the Kernal upgrade but I have a problem.

My Pro install is all up to date i.e. emerge -u world.

I ran magic and the kernal seemed to install okay. At the first reboot it said it was going to carry out some tests. This is where I have a problem!!

My screen now says :- An error occurred.... retrying in 10 seconds.
ever 10 seconds I see a very brief message under the 10 second line. It is so quick that I cant read it, but I am sure it is http://something.

I tried ssh to gain access but I can't get in. After about 10 minutes I turned the box off and back on. It still gets stuck at this point. On the boot up screen it says it can't bring up my network connection, so I guess this is why I am getting the error as this part of the upgrade trys to access the internet.

What is the best thing to do?

Cheers
XBoxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hmm, odd that your network isnt working anymore... if you have a usb keyboard, you could plug it in and hit ctrl + c to break it out of the loop. Without a network connection, that script will loop forever :/ Are you sure you havent changed your network configuration? Did you run etc-update?
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

I only ran etc-update after I ran emerge -u world and this was a week or 2 ago. My Gentoox has been working fine since then. including network.

I think my kernal has been upgraded before as I also have a vmlinuz2 file on my e drive.

I can boot into evox and I can rename vmlinuz.old back again, but I don't know what I need to tyoe in magic to reset it back.

Cheers

XBoxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

"magic fix kernel-2.4.22 && magic" to retry the patch
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

okay I renamed vmlinuz.old to vmlinuz and rebooted and it still gets stuck on that error. I tried ctrl+c but it does not break out the loop.

My keyboard is working as while it is waiting the 10 seconds I can type, but ctrl+c does nothing :(

Xboxgeek.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Ok, if the old kernel still does it, then its an issue with your network :\. I've updated the script to make it fail after 10 attempts.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

That's fine, but what do I do!! ctrl+c does not break out the script.

cheers
Xboxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Copy your rootfs to a linux pc, mount it, then delete .../etc/conf.d/local.start and move .../etc/conf.d/local.start.holdme to .../etc/conf.d/local.start

Unmount it, then put it back on the Xbox.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

LOL I thought you would say something like that.

The only thing is, this is a native install & I don't have Linux on any other machine. Oh well I guess I am stuffed. If only I could get to a command prompt.

That's life I guess :wink:

Cheers
Xboxgeek
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Thats even easier then... put in stardust.. ctrl+c out of the installer..

mkdir /mnt/blah
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/blah
chroot /mnt/blah /bin/bash

Then start messing around (i.e. do what i said in my last post)
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

okay done that. I can now boot without the update script running.

eth0 still does not start and I have a problem logging in as root :oops:
My root password has a pound sign £ in it, and for the life of me I cant find out which key that is. If I press shift+3 it does a backspace.

If I do manage to login as root, I guess typing "magic fix kernel-2.4.22 && magic" won't work without a network connection (or will it?). If not do you have any suggestions of how I can get my network back.

Many thanks.
XBoxgeek
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

He's not the only one having the problem. I tried it twice the second was on a fresh install. Pro Edition Also.
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

JusKickNit:- Does your install hang at the same point i.e. the first reboot?

I am going to try a fresh install of pro as well. I have a stack of drives here so it wont mess up anything I already have.

I am really hoping I can salvage this, as I can't face hours of compiling if I start from scratch again :shock:
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

Hi ShALLaX,

As I can get access to my native install via your method above i.e breaking out of the Stardust script and mounting my F partition. Would it not be possible to reset my old root password so I can log back in again. Maybe by deleting the old password file (if there is one?) and replacing it with the original one.

I don't know if this is possible or where such a file exists on the system, but until I can find away around my pound key £ problem I am stuck.

**Edit**
Or maybe change the keyboard layout from US to UK so I have a £.

Cheers
XBoxgeek
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

Same Spot. I installed xfree and that was about it on the first install. Then on reboot it hangs can't ssh in or anything. Since I had only installed xfree it was no big deal, so deleted everything from e: and reinstalled ran magic upon reboot still hung. I know i didn't mess with the netconfig on the second install. So that's not it. Has for your passwd if your going to chroot in if stardust can do this just run the passwd cmd. It will ask for you to enter you new passwd.