telnet, phpbb and other questions :D

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
inconsistency
Linux User

telnet, phpbb and other questions :D

Post by inconsistency »

OK, first up, I'm a complete Linux n00b :grin:

I've installed Linux on a few different PCs, but always give it up cause I can't get games to work under Linux...

But I've now got an Xbox with Linux installed, and I have a few n00b questions...

I followed nobspangle's tutorial to install apache/php/mysql, etc, etc viewtopic.php?t=1423, but when I get to the step where it says
nobspangle wrote: point your browser to http://xbox_ip_address/phpBB/install/install.php
instead of getting some sort of configuration page, I get all the code written to the browser.

So, I'd guess that this means I need to somehow tell Apache that it's OK to execute this as code, rather than write the text to the browser. Am I on the right track?

And, if so, how do I do this? :shock:

Next question:

I tried 'emerge'ing phpBB myself; it didn't work, which is how I came to find the tutorial.

The error, from what I could gather, is that phpBB is not considered stable, which is why the below line is needed:
nobspangle wrote:

Code: Select all

echo www-apps/phpBB\ ~x86 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge phpBB
Can anyone please tell me what this line actually <i>does</i>? I'm happy that it let me install phpBB, but I'd like to know what actually happened.

Last question:

I need to use telnet on the LAN to the Xbox.

It appears as though the <b>telnetd</b> telnet server is installed, but I can't telnet to the Xbox.

I found some sites that say that telnetd is started by inetd, which, itself, needs to be started. (all perfectly logical!!)

According to what I've been able to read, inetd controls a whole bunch of stuff, including FTP, which I have working.

To be on the safe side (??), I ran <b>inetd</b> from the terminal, which did exactly nothing. No confirmation/error, also no telnet access!

Is telnet switched off somewhere? I know it's insecure, I only want to use it on the LAN, as I have a PDA which has a telnet client and no SSH clinet (a MobilePro 880. I can install BSD on it, but that's a challenege for another day! :grin:)

I should be able to have the telnet server listen only to port 23, right? And be (relatively) safe using this on the LAN?

Apologies for the long post - I included so much info to show I <i>have</i> tried to work it out!

My thanks to anyone who can answer any of the above!
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

make sure your /etc/conf.d/apache file has APACHE2_OPTS="-D PHP4" in there:

pico -w /etc/conf.d/apache

add -D PHP4 inside the " " if its not already, or you might have to uncomment it (remove the preceding #)

to see if apache is currently being run with -D PHP4 flag run this command

ps ax | grep apache2
to test to see if php is setup properly create a file called phpinfo.php and put that in the root (really anywhere would work but we will keep simple) of your webserver

<? phpinfo(); ?>
point your browser to http://xbox_ip/phpinfo.php you should get a status page of gloabls for php, if not, php is not setup properly

as for telnet. unless you installed telnet yourself, gentoox (most if not all linux distros dont have telnet) they use ssh, its pretty much telnet with encryption.

I suggest PuTTY as the client of choice, it can be obtained at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
download, and run PuTTY, type in the ip of your xbox, click the bubble for SSH, and away you go

there is also a how to wiki for installing apache php and mysql on gentoo here http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Apache2_with_PHP_MySQL[/code]
inconsistency
Linux User

Post by inconsistency »

Hey, thanks so very much for this, orochi!! :D

I was actually looking for a command like "ps ax", as the only one that I'd found was "top". It's really hard to find information on something when you don't even know what it is that you're looking for! Maybe I need to do a Linux course, or something.
orochi wrote: as for telnet. unless you installed telnet yourself, gentoox (most if not all linux distros dont have telnet) they use ssh, its pretty much telnet with encryption.

I seem to have <b>/usr/sbin/telnetd</b> (which I think is the telnet daemon (server)), and another file <b>/usr/sbin/telnetlogin</b>

If I open either of these files with pico, they're all garbled, so I assume they're binary files, rather than text config files. Since it's flagged as executable, I tried to execute it... But I get an error <b>"/usr/sbin/telnetd: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket"</b>

According to what I read, the telnetd should be started from inetd. Since inetd also influences ftp, and I'm able to access ftp on the box, both the proftpd server from my desktop PC, and as a client from the command-line, I assume that inetd is actually running...

I need to get telnet running, as I want to be able to connect over my LAN to my Xbox from my MobilePro 880, a Windows CE-based PDA, and I haven't been able to find any SSH client for WinCE, except for sshCE, for which they want $79.95 to register!

Thanks again! :D
inconsistency
Linux User

Post by inconsistency »

OK, so I found that running

/etc/init.d/inetd start
started inetd, which means that I can now telnet to the Xbox :lol:

So then I typed

rc-update add inetd default
which (I hope!!) means that inetd (and therefore telnetd) start at boot time. (Well, I think that inetd calls telnetd when needed, but I need to read more about all this :D)

Thanks very much, orochi, for your help!

And, of course, a big thanks to Shallax for Gentoox!!
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

well, you can type this to see if inetd will startup with your xbox

rc-update
or
rc-update | grep inetd

ive never used telnet with linux, its not "for" linux, telnet is done in plain text, so data is unencrypted, as far as i know, most linux users dont want their root password to get sniffed, then your in trouble.

although, once you setup your box how you want it, you will spend very little time logged in it, unless its for novelty reasons to run it on your CE :)