proftpd setting up a server.

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
brucett
Novice

proftpd setting up a server.

Post by brucett »

I have just finished setting up my samba server and it is working perfectly as intended.

Now i want to be able to set up an ftp server preferably using proftpd as thats the one i have emerged. but that doesnt really matter. As this Xbox runs 24/7 i want to know so i can access it wherever in the world. ie. i type into a ftp client an ip,port,user,pass and i will be able to access files off it from wherever.

If anyone could help with some basic .conf file to get me started on this and some commands it would be appreciated.

Current System: Xbox Xecuter 2.6 flashed with BootLoader 5.1a, 200gb HD.
brucett
Novice

Post by brucett »

got it working as a simple ftp between my linux xbox and windows pc. Thats a start! Now need to know how to open ports and stuff i think in order to get this baby running.
jeokeefx
Novice

Post by jeokeefx »

im not sure exactly what you mean , do you have a firewall installed , do you have a router ?

Code: Select all

if its a firewall , simply open port 21 

if you have a router , port forward port 21 ..
what i usually do is edit the /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf file simply by adding the line below to the very bottom of the file

defaultroot ~
then create a user

useradd -m website
passwd website
make that users home directory the http root directory

usermod -d /var/www/localhost website
then you can upload documents to your apache directory and the user is stuck in that directory because of the defaultroot entry
thecrackerjack

Post by thecrackerjack »

thank you very much for the user set up help, but when i try to upload a file to the modified directory of the user it tells me i do not have permissions to write to the file. i'm guessing i need to chmod it to 775 and add my new user to to the group that owns the folder. thing is i dont recall how to check and see the current groups owner of a file hmmmmmm amazing what one forgets in the summer

thank you again
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

man chmod
man chown

dont worry about chmod 775 ing the file, you wont be able to write a file until the user you are logged in has permission to do so, add him to the group of the folder you want to write to
zlasher
Adept

Post by zlasher »

Just a small hint.. (I stumbeled over this problem) Proftp may seem a bit slow - this could be (probably is) caused by reverse DNS.. by adding these two parameters to the proftpd.conf file - logon and listing dirs will be a lot faster.. (probably already is in the default installations - right Shallax?) - If you do a native install, or emerge proftpd yourself - this could be a good thing to keep in mind..

IdentLookups off
UseReverseDNS off

Steinar T
Xbox v1.1, Xtender, Xecuter 3CE
Gentoox Pro 4.1 native
http://xboxlinux.mine.nu